Sign in to follow this  
Redline_Customs

Will I have port noise?

I plan on running 8 ssd 10's. 2 per box at 500 watts rms each. Each box will be 3 cubes before displacement tuned to 33hz. I plan on running 1 4" aero port per 2 subs. Do you think I will get port noise with that size port on only 500 watts?

Thanks, I hope that wasn't too confusing.

I plan on running 8 ssd 10's. 2 per box at 500 watts rms each. Each box will be 3 cubes before displacement tuned to 33hz. I plan on running 1 4" aero port per 2 subs. Do you think I will get port noise with that size port on only 500 watts?

Thanks, I hope that wasn't too confusing.

according to Fi suggestions you should have about one 4" aero port per cubic foot of box.

Edited by audio-neon

Aeroports are a different story. You can run less sqin per cuft with aeroports than you can with standard round or slot ports (given that the edges are squared off). Now if you have a Square-o-port (trademark pending and acknowledgements to Mr Meade ;) ) you can use less port area as well.

Round ports have less surface area and drag per sqin vs slots ports. High ratio slot ports become the worst offenders... while you have 50sqin with a 2" X 25" port, you would get better flow through a single 8" round port (which is 50 sqin as well)

You are a little beyond the limits on the application you have. While it will work, it seems that near tuning with 500 per sub you will be running into port compression issues. Changing to (2)3" ports wont help much, and a pair of 4" will eat up too much space. If this is what you have to work with, Id just use it. Like I mentioned... you will be running the ragged edge, but you are far better off with 13 sqin of aeroport vs 13sqin of slot port.

Thanks,

Scott

Aeroports are a different story. You can run less sqin per cuft with aeroports than you can with standard round or slot ports (given that the edges are squared off). Now if you have a Square-o-port (trademark pending and acknowledgements to Mr Meade ;) ) you can use less port area as well.

Round ports have less surface area and drag per sqin vs slots ports. High ratio slot ports become the worst offenders... while you have 50sqin with a 2" X 25" port, you would get better flow through a single 8" round port (which is 50 sqin as well)

You are a little beyond the limits on the application you have. While it will work, it seems that near tuning with 500 per sub you will be running into port compression issues. Changing to (2)3" ports wont help much, and a pair of 4" will eat up too much space. If this is what you have to work with, Id just use it. Like I mentioned... you will be running the ragged edge, but you are far better off with 13 sqin of aeroport vs 13sqin of slot port.

Thanks,

Scott

Excellent response! So basically I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't. I'm trying to get away from the slot ports all together. I feel aero ports are more efficient, look better, sound better and are a lot easier to use. So Scott, I am pretty open to what I can do (space wise) what would be your reccomendation for the best output.

Thanks for the input.

Josh

Edited by Redline_Customs

Sign in to follow this