danssoslow

Enclosure sizes for Atlas 15

I lost my copy of BBP6 when my computer crashed a couple months ago. My original plan was to run the Atlas at 4 cubes at 30hz.

Well, plans change, and I have far too much equipment to run in the back of my Blazer 2 door with the spare inside. I'm looking at probably 2-2.5 cubes tops, and I "want" to reach down as low as possible with some authority. Will 2 cubes tuned to 28-30 hz work without creating a narrow peaky response? I'll be running a set of Dayton Ref 8's in the doors, so I'm ultimately looking at something that will play from 60hz down to the 20's fairly flat.

If this isn't going to work, I'll have to look into other sub choices, as the space is now going to have presidence over the sub. If anyone has any sub suggestions, I have 450w to work with. As far as budget, I might be able to swing another $100 (less the better) on top of whatever I can get for the Atlas ($100-150 maybe? it's still brand new).

i probably wouldn't go less than 3cubes. thats where i had mine.

I agree with 3 cuft. Anything less and you are choking it down. If you are going for a nice flat in cab response, then sealed would be the way to go... it wont have the exagerated bass like the ported would... so no knocking off of heads, but it will be clean and save space.

Thanks,

Scott

Thanks for the help, guys. What did you have your enclosure tuned to Vladd, and how was the output? A little exageration wouldn't hurt :P , so I would like to port the enclosure to get as much out of this sub as I can.

I originally made an enclosure for the rear of my Blazer that would take up all the available space possible, with the plans to recess one four channel amp in the enclosure . I planned on chucking the box after it had soaked up a little water from an interior leak. As plans changed and equipment grew, I damn near completely wrote the old enclosure off.

This afternoon, I pulled the enclosure out of my son's closet. It looks as if I'll be able to fit all of my equipment, recessed into the enclosure. This is going to reduce the enclosure volume a bit, but I'll still end up with 3.645 cubic inches net.

What I need help with now is figuring out the port length and size to achieve a 30 hz tuning. I will have space between the two amps on the rear of the enclosure to mount a 3" pvc port between them, so I'd like to keep the port area to a 3" pvc pipe or a multiple thereof if it's possible.

Thanks once again,

Dan

two 15s each in 3cubes tuned to 34'ish it was far from flat but quite loud. 143db in the trunk of my stratus with the pair getting about 1000W.

two 15s each in 3cubes tuned to 34'ish it was far from flat but quite loud. 143db in the trunk of my stratus with the pair getting about 1000W.

I was looking at the thread here with your pics, and I remember seeing your enclosure in the past. Very good looking setup with the triangular ports.

I found beerman's port calculator. Since the only working measurement I have is the gross volume, it isn't going to work for me, is it?