Sign in to follow this  
Philpot

Warranty-able Issue?

I did a search for warranty, but ended up finding more threads talking about amp warranties than Fi sub warranties.

I have a few pic's of one of the tinsel leads in my Fi Q15 that worked itself loose. Everything else on the sub is good and the VC looks perfect, it's just this one tinsel lead that came loose.

Misc5-21-2007002.jpg

Misc5-21-2007003.jpg

Misc5-21-2007004.jpg

Misc5-21-2007005.jpg

Misc5-21-2007006.jpg

I remember seeing a thread about a user that had some BTL's that had tinsel lead slap issue's. Are the tinsel leads in Fi woofers ever going to be wooven into the spider?

I believe that would raise the price do to longer built time for machines to manufacture a spider w/tinsels wooven in them.Not sure Fi has this capability at there ready in house.If not they would have to send them out and that would bump up prices I would assume.Also I doubt the btl size heavy lead would work being wooven in cause I'm thinking spider degredation due to mass taken out of spider to fit the heavy lead which might make it weaker.I'm just assuming so I'll wait for Scott or Nick to chime in on this one.What do you think guys, am I close?

I believe that would raise the price do to longer built time for machines to manufacture a spider w/tinsels wooven in them.Not sure Fi has this capability at there ready in house.If not they would have to send them out and that would bump up prices I would assume.Also I doubt the btl size heavy lead would work being wooven in cause I'm thinking spider degredation due to mass taken out of spider to fit the heavy lead which might make it weaker.I'm just assuming so I'll wait for Scott or Nick to chime in on this one.What do you think guys, am I close?

It's a pretty common thing nowadays with higher-end sub manufacturers. I wouldn't have this issue right now if it was wooven. I really don't know why this would happen; the sub doesn't come close to reaching xmax in my box and I'm not overpowering the sub. It seems kind of suspect that only one of the two leads on that side would work loose like that though, if it was over-driven wouldn't both leads unravel?

I dont think woven tinsels are the solutions for tinsel slap problems. I recalled Dan Wiggins mentioned last time that woven tinsels will make the spider weaker as you are punching holes into the spider. Over time this will weaken the spider when it comes to high excursion. IMO woven tinsels solve one problem while creating another one.

Sign in to follow this