Sign in to follow this  
AP Zoutes

One 18" btl or two 15" bl

Which would you do. I listen to mostly rock and rap. My sq sucks right now with my three tens (very little bass in the 60-90 range). This probblem was explained to me as being caused by the cone material of my Diamond D6 subs. My favorite systems in the past used 15's but was thinking of trying a setup with a single 18. I'm sure the sq will be better then what I have right now but I also want to be louder then what I am right now (147 db, unknown meter, will have tl db in two weeks). Either way I would be using a single Memphis 4k.

Any suggestions or things to keep in mind?

There are several things that I'm wondering:

with the 10s what kind of enclosure are they in?

It is hard to say what will 'be louder', that's got a lot to do with setup.

If you aren't hearing much in the 60-90hz range then you need to upgrade your mid-bass. What is your front stage like-what kind of amp do you have on your front speakers and what kind of speakers? 60hz is really about the most you want your sub(s) to be playing for music. If your subs aren't playing in the 60-90hz range that's a good thing, and is most likely your enclosure or your amps settings instead of the 'cone material.'

I'd meter on the t/l and see if you aren't closer to 140 (not doubting you, just saying t/l is much harsher than other meters). Then you'll have a solid comparision.

Regardless, I think the 2 15s will be better- more cone area. I wouldn't mind going with BTLs with that much power, then you have the chance to upgrade to 2 memphis amps later if comps are in mind.

good luck.

The ten's now are in an enclosure based upon Diamond audio recommendations and t/s parameters. IIRC the enclosure has a net airspace of 2.6ft3 (after displacements) with a 60 sq" port tuned to about 35 hz

I also had the same probelm in a sealed enclosure with these same subs, just not as noticeable. I don't usually trust most local installers/shop owners that I run into but teh one who told me that is one of maybe two locally that I will trust. BTW the subs move alot in the upper frequencies and just don't produce. But I'm done with these and am moving on. Honestly, I think I made a mistake going with these tens to begin with.

My front stage does need a mid upgrade right now I only have CDT CL6 1/2" with a memphis 3004 (230x2). I am wanting to upgrade to the CDT ES-06

I'm sure my t/l score will be lower but I've been to busy to go to the only shop around me with one.

I've thought about doing the BTL's for the amp upgrade reason, but decided If I was to upgrade a two 15 or one 18 setup I would double the power AND subs and I just don't forsee doing an electrical system that can support 4 x BTL 15's so that's the big reason for either 2xBL 15's or 1xBTL 18. BIG power difference if I do upgrade.

Edited by AP Zoutes

Yeah, that is what I am leaning towards. Also I agree with what you said about my mids running the 60-90 range any suggestions? I am looking at CDT mainly because I am using their ES-01 and DRT-25 tweets(which I REALLY LIKE)and upgrading to the ES200US crossover but I definatly am open to any midrang/midbass suggestions.

Sign in to follow this