Sign in to follow this  
ngsm13

My experience with the Proto SI d2 :)

Ok, I had about 4 paragraphs typed up then accidentally x-ed out of all my tabs on firefox...so here it goes again!

Finally...my write-up is here...I've been busy and didn't get time to write anything WHILE the driver was still here.

First, I'd like to thank Mr. Nick Lemons for the opportunity to demo such a unique and amazing driver.

I was watching for UPS everyday when I heard the news the new SI d2 had been shipped out to me. I couldn't wait, when I received the package I immediately took it up to my dorm room and opened it. I stared googly-eyed at the beautiful woofer...picture do NOT do this subwoofer justice. The back-end is SO sexy...nice bumped back-plate...it's hot! ;)

So, I had to hear it. I swapped it out with my rl-i12 in the dorm audio system.

Specs:

-CSS 4.5" xbl^2 Full-range drivers, ported @70hz, powered by 100rms

-Downfiring Subwoofer box, 3 cubes NET @22hz, 250+ rms via Rythmik Audio plate amp

The SI d2 is amazingly musically accurate! I listened to a few Rock Albums including A perfect Circle and Sevendust! Dropped in some rap for the roommates, and the output with only 250 rms was crazy. Windows were shaking, dished rattling, and the balcony floor was vibrating. The SQ and output were great!

Since my truck was out of commission (and has been for near 3 months...with transmission problems...LONG painful story)...I decided to demo the SI d2 in my GF's Jeep Grand Cherokee, swapped it out with her LI 12 ;)

System Specs:

-Older Alpine CD Player

-CDT Coax's front and rear

-US Acoustics 4065

-JBL 600.1

-Subwoofer box, 2.3 cubes NET @32hz w/ 45in^2 of port

Again, the output and accuracy was delightful. No matter what type of music I listened to it sounded amazing, no joke. It never missed a note, and the lows were GREAT and it definitely kicked you in the back. With only 600rms the output was surprising! I hopped out of the Jeep at one time and noticed the roof flexing near an inch, with one 12, 600rms, and the sub firing rearward! This driver is amazing, I've fallen in love again! :) BTW, my g/f loved it for the few days she had it! She even PWNED a few guys with two 12's ;) ( I taught here well :) )

Those of you who had heard 1st gen Magnums ( I owned two 12's ported with 2400+ rms ;) )...will be MORE than amazed with the new SI d2. It's easily up at the top of the list of TOP quality subwoofers!

So, the driver is currently on the way to it's next destination (Jordan, in California!). I wish I could have kept it for a few days longer, it would have gotten on the meter! (TermLab at the Cincinnati Meet!). But, I politely obliged to getting things on the move...and thanked Nick for letting me demo the driver.

Any questions or comments welcome! Enjoy!

-Noah

how does the rl-i12 compare in ur dorm room? yeah, i know different levels of subs, but still i'm curious....

i wish i was getting the 12 to put in my wife's car to compare with the rl-p..:(

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

how does the rl-i12 compare in ur dorm room? yeah, i know different levels of subs, but still i'm curious....

i wish i was getting the 12 to put in my wife's car to compare with the rl-p..:(

The rl-i kept up more than I thought...it's obviously efficient...and the box was made to the rl-i specs. The SI d2 came out on top tho slightly...even with onyl 250rms.

-Noah

I want to see it go up against the RL-p, with some serious power that is, maybe its time for kent to do something like he did with the rl-p and the xxx a while back, but this time the rl-p against the d2

2 problems:

Kent is getting a 15, and these drivers are only prototypes.

We can still see something come up :) Id like to see it even more since im getting the paid of rl-p 15's soon.

The rl-i kept up more than I thought...it's obviously efficient...and the box was made to the rl-i specs. The SI d2 came out on top tho slightly...even with onyl 250rms.

-Noah

nice...i'd expect the d2 to win this..even with just 250wrms...but the rl-i running with it some, that's good too!

and ryan is correct, i'm getting the 15 and these are just proto's...maybe we can talk nick into sending me a production d2 to compare with the rl-p....

seems like nick has a winner here though...can't wait to get the 15..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer: