Sign in to follow this  
UNIT 6639

1.4 custom machined motor?

I know a guy selling a BTL motor, he said it was custom machined for 1.4 ohm coils, this sub could only be reconed to 1.4 VC's correct?

And would I have to order a custum recone kit for it being it is an unstandard 1.4 VC vs the standard 2 ohm or 1 ohm vc's?

the motor or mags thm selfs have nothing to do really with the impedence of the voice coils. you should essentially be able to recone it with any ohm rating you were loking for. and it may be a 2 ohm vc with a Re of 1.4 according to a dmm.

but i dont think there is a way to "tool" a motor to get a different impedence, only tooling around with the vc.

Well thats what I am hoping, but the guy said it was a customed machined BTL motor, thats why I was asking. Thanks for responding :D

Edited by UNIT 6639

The 1.4 coils are the D2s. We do machine each motor differently and what we machine them to is set by the customers choice of coil, or by them selecting "universal". Each motor is machined to optimize the gapping for each coil as they are slightly different in ODs. The universal option allows the use of the largest OD coil in the series and therefor all of the others as well. In your case, the D1.4 coil is the largest OD and so it is also the same as the universal option. You can stick any of the other coils in the motor... with the exception of the high xmax coils if it is only a 2 magnet motor.

Hope that makes a little sense.

fast response from a company head... jesus.

fi, sundown, and all the other companies with actual reps and owners that use this site are impressing me more and more every day.

Makes sense to me, thanks for responding Scott, I checked the coils on my BL yesterday with my DMM, they both read 1.4 , I also checked my Treo TSX 10.44 , the 4 ohm coils read 2. something .

Anyway, my question was answered, I can/could get this thing reconed to D1 or D2. Thanks Scott for replying :D

fast response from a company head... jesus.

fi, sundown, and all the other companies with actual reps and owners that use this site are impressing me more and more every day.

Yea, I am on here asking questions almost daily! I am suprised when Scott, Nick or Shawn DONT reply. I have gotten at least one of them if not 2 out of the 3 in almost every post I have started.

This is why Fi will continue to get my money and bidness. I am still trying to figure what I like the most, my Fi sub or the Fi customer service!

Anyway, thanks alot Fi for great products and outstanding service!

I would talk to Scott about that, I am unsure if they do ship to Canada, hey, you ever heard of Mach5, they are located in CA.

We ship to canada...shoot scott an email with what woofers you want and your poatal code. depending on your location and what series of woofer(s) you want would vary the additional charge of shipping.

Thanks!

-Nicks phone at his other job :)

Sign in to follow this