Schmuck

07 MD3's acting funky?

I hooked them up using the MLT, linked together, and I can not get them to push my 2 AQ HD3's with the same power. I have tried everything I know to tune them but they will not push them with the same authority. I can get them to be working the same on a test tone but whenever I play music the subs do not hit the same frequencies with the same authority. One will hit the low frequencies good and the other will hit the mid to high frequencies better. What is going on? I tried to turn all the gains to the same point but that just makes one sub hit hard and the other one will be lagging. What should I do, I tried to unlink them with the RCA's and have them acting as single amps so i can tune them as one but then only one sub works. I need help also I was not the one to install these so I do not know how the RCA's are ran in the HU if that has anything to do with it. Someone help please!!!! Other than that they put out good power and I am pleased if I can work out this kink.

I hooked them up using the MLT, linked together, and I can not get them to push my 2 AQ HD3's with the same power. I have tried everything I know to tune them but they will not push them with the same authority. I can get them to be working the same on a test tone but whenever I play music the subs do not hit the same frequencies with the same authority. One will hit the low frequencies good and the other will hit the mid to high frequencies better. What is going on? I tried to turn all the gains to the same point but that just makes one sub hit hard and the other one will be lagging. What should I do, I tried to unlink them with the RCA's and have them acting as single amps so i can tune them as one but then only one sub works. I need help also I was not the one to install these so I do not know how the RCA's are ran in the HU if that has anything to do with it. Someone help please!!!! Other than that they put out good power and I am pleased if I can work out this kink.

who installed this for you? personally have never strapped any amp before so i can't be much of a help to you. the only thing i can ask is did you put one amp to "master" and one amp to "slave"? if you havent done that yet, do that, and dont worry about the gains or xovers on the slave amp. use the master amp to control both units. its cool because you dont have to gain match.

if THAT doesnt work, take it to a usamps dealer to checkit out. I hope greg or JR or someone who knows how to use MLT can chime in on this situation.

i went to take a look and when I was unscrewing the positive speaker terminals it sent a surge of power through my entire setup. Now whenever I hook the RCA's too my 4 channel amp it my door speakers have a horrible whining noise. What did I do I was just disconnecting the subs. And now my subs are always producing bass even with the volume turned down to 0 on the HU. I need help it is going back to the shop but they are the ones that installed everything and set it up like this. Tell me if I did something wrong please i would like to know.

i went to take a look and when I was unscrewing the positive speaker terminals it sent a surge of power through my entire setup. Now whenever I hook the RCA's too my 4 channel amp it my door speakers have a horrible whining noise. What did I do I was just disconnecting the subs. And now my subs are always producing bass even with the volume turned down to 0 on the HU. I need help it is going back to the shop but they are the ones that installed everything and set it up like this. Tell me if I did something wrong please i would like to know.

sounds like you fired your rca cable . was your amp on when you disconnected your speakers?

Check all of your wire connections. I'll bet you have a bad ground somewhere.

Can someone post a pic of how the RCA's are supposed to be for these to be linked together. And do I need to use special RCA's for these? I had them professionally installed but they did not look at the manual and the RCA's are not like it says in the manual I am just wondering if this would lead to amp failure. Because my master amp just took a dump on me. It blew all the external fuses and it keeps blowing them everytime I replace them. And also how would I take them out of link mode? I tried just hooking up the RCA's regularly but that did not work, what do I have to do? I should get the same power either way shouldn't I?

def sounds like you just fried your amp(s) and they're just throwing dc to the subs.

this probably happened as you were unhooking a speaker lead while the amp was powered on, your screwdriver touched the amp body while touching the + speaker screw. An expensive little mistake

no the amp was working after that. They were never in sync though. I took them to a shop that did not even look at the install manual and linked them how they wanted to. They were using all of the RCA's on the master amp and the 2 in RCA's on the slave amp.I took a look at the install manual and that is not how they are supposed to be linked. I put the RCA's how they were supposed to be but it did not change anything. The master amp fried when I was trying to balance out the gains it was putting out 44VAC and the fuses just popped. The subs were not hooked up. So I am wondering if it is the way that they were linked together because I know that the amp can do 44VAC all day long, or should be able to. I was reading about people having problems with sundown's because they were not strapped the right way I was wondering if that was the case here. Because how I understand MLT is suppose to let you set the master and not worry about the slave settings like strapping. Well these amps were never in sync I got them to where would be doing them same at a frequency but once that frequency changed one amp would push more than the other. To me there is no point in linking them if I still have to set both gains. So I tried to set the RCA's as standalone amps but the were still working as linked amps. Hell my 1 amp is blown now and I do not have my sub hooked up to it yet somehow that sub is still seeing power, and the wires to that sub are covered with wire nuts. So no I did not fry my amp however it is fried I am trying to figure out why. The one that was designated slave still works and is putting out AC voltage not DC, the other is not putting out chit.

does anyone know what the problem could be? MLT is like strapping amps isn't it so I should only have to set the master and the slave will be in sync with it. My amps were never in sync and what caused it to blow it was not when I took the speaker wire out, that blew the RCA's on the back of my HU which has been replaced. Why did my amp take a dump? And why have they never been in sync. Do I need to link them with speaker wire, I know some amps are strapped that way, and could it be the way my RCA's are? I need feedback for when I get another amp this way it gets done right.

if you would explain your problem clearly with carriage returns you will get way more help. Organize your thoughts, explain your problem and what happened clearly, and then pose questions.

i'm still betting you hit something while working on the amp while it was on, too many things can go wrong that way.

To me there is no point in linking them if I still have to set both gains. So I tried to set the RCA's as standalone amps but the were still working as linked amps. Hell my 1 amp is blown now and I do not have my sub hooked up to it yet somehow that sub is still seeing power, and the wires to that sub are covered with wire nuts. So no I did not fry my amp however it is fried I am trying to figure out why. The one that was designated slave still works and is putting out AC voltage not DC, the other is not putting out chit.

WHAT?

your dealer messed up...tell them they screwed up the wiring badly and you need them to fix what they did...they didnt hook it up the way it was supposed to be hooked up. although going out on your own wasnt best thing to do either. i dont know if they will honor your complaint after you messing around with the wiring. the best thing to do right now IMO is go to your dealer and bring this up to them. I dont know what else you can do right now. directly from the manual (also for other people):

mlt1.jpg

mlt2.jpg

yeah they did not even look at the manual and the wiring is nothing like that. And the amp was still working after that screw up. I took it back to the shop and they had one amp putting out 15VAC and one putting out 9VAC. So I tried to balance them out, by the time I got them balanced to one frequency the master popped the fuses. So I did not fry the amp unless having a multimeter in the speaker terminals to set gains would fry it.

dude honestly i understand about 1/10 of what you say

dude honestly i understand about 1/10 of what you say

i'm sorry, but i would have to agree. i am honestly bout 85% confused about what you are saying.

why didnt the shop change the wiring to what the manual said?