Sign in to follow this  
magic_wizard

aaarrrrrggghhhhh

So my 2 mags are finally installed, but they don't sound right at all. And it's bc I'm an idiot. :thud: I think the gains are too low, but I need to know what the gain knob is on a tantrum 1200.1. Is it the sensitivity knob? And does the gain go higher as you turn it from .2 to 4. It is on .2 now, and it sounds terrible, like everything is just rumbling together. The kick drums don't sound right at all. I don't hear a distinct punch for each kick. I know it has something to do with the amp settings, bc these are magnums we are talking about. Also, I was driving around last night, and my lights didn't dim or blink at all, so that may be indication that the gains are down, bc even though I have a yeller top, my alt stinks

By the way, when my hu is on and I give the engine gas, it produces a continuous clicking sound. I think it's coming from the alternator, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I'm changing the alternator soon, but on my current setup (70 amp alt and yellow top under hood, no big 3 yet), would setting the gains high be a problem as long as I keep the volume down? I don't want to destroy my alt or battery just to listen to good base for a couple days.

I should also add that my trunk needs to be dampened big time, and I don't have comps installed yet, so that could also be adding to the disgusting bass sounds, but I'm sure it's the amp settings.

Sorry for the long post. :boink:

The noise you are getting will have to be traced down to find out exactly where in signal chain it is coming from. It sounds to me as if you may have a phasing issue as well, but I am not certain. Give us some more specifics on how you have everything wired up. That will help a ton.

;);)

I have 1/0 going to the back from a yellow top to a fused distribution block, where it branches to a 4 gauge to the amp. The RCA cables are run on the other side. They are some really nice monster cable wires. The coils are wired in series, and the subs are wired in parallel to the amp.

I'm pretty sure it is a power issue, but I could be wrong. Although I have a yellow top under the hood, I don't have any of the big 3 done, and I have to change my stock sissy 70 amp alternator.

I don't think the noise is coming from my stereo. The engine is just that loud. I opened the hood to check. The noise seems to be coming from the alternator area. More evidence of this is the fact that the noise was loudest when the rubber gromet was loose. After I put it on right, the noise went down, but it was still there.

Edited by magic_wizard

do you have the wrong high pass/low pass on the sub? I always get confused on this too, you could have the filter that cuts out all frequencies below a certain point on.. maybe you should take a looksy @ the manual and find out where the filters are, and where it should be when running subs.

I'm pretty sure it is a power issue, but I could be wrong. Although I have a yellow top under the hood, I don't have any of the big 3 done, and I have to change my stock sissy 70 amp alternator.

im pretty sure its not a power issue. i use to run my system in my CRX w/ i think its a 60 amp alt. i think maybe a little smaller or bigger but not by much and a SVR8012 and 2 mod. Mmats D300's and never had a prob.

The genius who installed the amp left the gain all the way up. It sounds alot better after I turned it down to 1/3 of the way. :) I also messed with the crossover settings on my hu and the amp, and it sounds better. I think before it was beyond 100.

I'm pretty sure it is a power issue, but I could be wrong.  Although I have a yellow top under the hood, I don't have any of the big 3 done, and I have to change my stock sissy 70 amp alternator.

im pretty sure its not a power issue. i use to run my system in my CRX w/ i think its a 60 amp alt. i think maybe a little smaller or bigger but not by much and a SVR8012 and 2 mod. Mmats D300's and never had a prob.

Gotta love that 90% efficiency!

Gotta love that 90% efficiency!

Yeah, my amp is nowhere near that efficient. The birthsheet says 60%. Anyways, I'll let yall know what it sounds like after I get all the electrical stuff done. I'll also post some pictures.

yeah they just always blew though, i dont know why i had the biggest prob. w/ my 4 D300's. now i have my 2 rockford bd 1500's working for 4

Now I'm pretty sure the amp is the culprit. We'll see how it does after the electrical upgrades. I put in some THX and other stufff with deep low bass, and the Mags were pounding w/o distortion. The gains were on 1/2, the sub level on the hu was on +3 or +2 (on scale of - 6 to +6), and the volume was on 40-45 out of 62. I still think these settings are too high, especially considering that the mags should get alot louder, but at least I know there is nothing wrong with the subs and box. The wiring is correct, bc I watched the guy wire them up. I just think there is a powering issue or a defective amp, especially considering what others have said about the tantrums.

By the way, kick drums sound OMFG awsome on these mags. I don't know if you've ever heard of a band called Dream Theater before, but their drummer is awesome. On the album Metropolis part 2: Scenes from a Memory, the kicks are super fast on certain songs, especially track 6 Beyond this Life, and the mags handled them. I highly recommend this album to rock enthusiasts, especially those who like progressive rock.

I'll give an update and full review when everything is done. The bass will sound alot better (it already sounds pretty dang good although not too loud) once I deaden the car. This thing rattles like crazy.

Edited by magic_wizard