dont know about the 3 way active HU's. all i know about is some 2 way HU's. but there are some ppl on here that can help you out.

DRZ9255 and the Ural are the only two headunits that can do it all stand alone.

Other options Pio P9 combo, Alpine H701 combo, DCX730 can also do it on their own. A 12v modded Behringer 2496 as well.

Is there any other way to do this with out dropping $800 on a new headunit.

Maybe i should just go 2-way what are some of the best headunits for that.

Edited by joe dirte

depends, what defines a 3-way to you? if you want a 3-way fronstage, go by sean's post. If you're wanting a 3-way system (tweets, mids and a sub) then you have many other options

Indeed I assumed you meant 3 way front stage + sub.

Even if that is the case, there is another possibility but it requires being crafty in both your driver, amp, and headunit selection. That would be to pick two drivers that will be placed physically right next to each other and use the crossover in the headunit for one portion and your amps crossovers for the rest. The real disadvantage is a ton of flexibility here, but it can be done.

well im goin to sound redundant most likely but here goes the choices i know for 2 way active front stage. that would be sub, mid and high. technically 3 way but were talkin front stage. alpine: 9833 9835 9853 9855. they will do it no doubt. eclipse cd 5000 and cd7000 im pretty sure will do it. there are others but i couldnt tell you.

pioneer 880, and many older pioneers alpines and eclipses

Yes i was referring to a 3-way frontstage but i dont think im going to go that route. Im probally going to just get a nice set of components for now. What are some that you guys like in the 3-400 dollar range. Maybe ill go 3-way sometime in the future.

$400 leaves a lot of room for experimentation. What kind of sound do you like, or what kind of music are you going to be listening to?

Ok any alpine headunit with bass engine pro will work for 2-way active right?

What do you have to look for in a headunit to tell wether it would work for 2-way active.

I'll make it easy for you:

Alpine 9813,9815,9835, 9855, 9856, 9887

Eclipse 8053, 8443, 8454, 8455, 7000/7100

Pioneer 9800, 880prs

There are others to, but one of those would be a good choice.