Sign in to follow this  
Speedyd718

Getting a 15" Mag D2

well after a 3 year hiatus of not having a SI Mag i'm back. i had an original claw basket 12.

i just acquired a 15" new gen Mag and its going in a roadmaster wagon (huge space). and will power it with the mono side of a memphis big belle (1100w RMS)

*****EDIT*****

i wanted some expert opinion on the box plans i came up with....4.0 ft^3 @ 30hz

total internal vol - 5.66 ft^3 (46.5"w x 12"h x 17.53"d)

port area - 54 in^2 (18" x 3")

port length - 37.31 in

driver vol - .2 ft^3

.....what i don't know how to do is figure the port wall lengths. the sub will be firing up with the port up too.

any help or advice is greatly appreciated. i'm stoked to be back with SI.

Edited by Speedyd718

First off you have WAY too much vent area. I don't see how your vent is going to take up almost 2.5 cubic feet either, even at that size. How much room do have available to you. I'd go for what is recommended on the site at 4 cubes and about 60 square inches of vent area.

i scaled down the vent area. i didn't know how much to have, i didn't see it anywhere.

i have 48" of width, ~14" high, and ~20" deep. how do these revised numbers look?....

net vol - 4.0 ft^3 @ 30hz

int. vol - 5.66 ft^3 (46.5"w x 12"h x 17.53"d)

port length - 37.31 in

port vol - 1.46 ft^3

driver vol - .2 ft^3

how do i go about constructing the path for the port?

Edited by Speedyd718

The vent arrangement will be dictated by the actual enclosure and driver placement. You will have to place it in the enclosure any way you can get it to fit. It seems you may be just shy of available space to use an L-shape, although that could easily be remedied by shortening the vent a hair or bringing your vent area down a little as you are still on the high side. For a daily driver you want about 12-15 square inches per cubic foot. Being as you have the room, I'd also suggest bumping your net volume up to 4 cubes.

well i figure i can snake it if i offset the driver to one side. so that there's some air space behind the magnet

where do i measure the length of the port? (am i correct, down the middle) and how long the walls should be?

i changed up my numbers again, how do those specs look?

Correct, you measure right down the middle. You can fudge a little bit too as the small difference will be negligible. You should have enough room for a simple "L" shaped vent, so you can run it along 2 sides of the enclosure.

No no, you don't need it on both sides. I'm saying it will be an L shape and use two sides of the enclosure. Let me see if I can find a picture for you.

See how this one is. It uses two sides of the enclosure.

l_0e001688c462366e9c77e7730ba9f207.jpg

l_21b66c043656c55ae7eaed99648f4455.jpg

well after a 3 year hiatus of not having a SI Mag i'm back. i had an original claw basket 12.

i just acquired a 15" new gen Mag and its going in a roadmaster wagon (huge space). and will power it with the mono side of a memphis big belle (1100w RMS)

*****EDIT*****

i wanted some expert opinion on the box plans i came up with....4.0 ft^3 @ 30hz

total internal vol - 5.66 ft^3 (46.5"w x 12"h x 17.53"d)

port length - 37.31 in

driver vol - .2 ft^3

.....what i don't know how to do is figure the port wall lengths. the sub will be firing up with the port up too.

any help or advice is greatly appreciated. i'm stoked to be back with SI.

i have 1 15 d2mag in a ported box. it hits hard, but all my friends tell me sealed is better and right now as i type this the box is drying. so i will let you know witch is louder. these are the specs i used. they are from lilmaniac2 they are for a ported box meant for this sub :D

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...ic=6636&hl=

A sealed box isn't necessarily "better" - it depends on what your goals are and which driver you are using. Fortunately for you, Mag's are very flexible drivers so they perform well in either sealed or ported alignments. And if Chad designed a box for you, it's going to be loud.