Sign in to follow this  
geraldo

Considering a Transmission Line build up

Well, ive been crusing around her for a while and i think i discovered a enclosure id LOVE to build.

Im debating on building a TL enclosure for either one 10" or a single 8". to top it off i kinda want to do it as cheap as i can(i know i know, audio, cheap, HAH.). I think i found my amp and sub, but i need the opinions of seasoned builders. Ive only played with car audio before so this home theater stuff is newer to me, i have a sub-par setup going, but nothing fancy. But my substage is lacking, so i need something with a little more "oomph".

Amp choice is a Audiofile VRS 1205 from www.alexjr.com (http://www.apexjr.com/Audiofile.htm)

and the sub i have yet to really decide, id like to run somethign quality, but if these TL enclosures do what they say they do, maybe i can get away with something less spectacular?

thanks in advance. Any input is appreciated.

I can tell you TL's are pretty impressive, quite possibly as close to the perfect subwoofer alignment as one can get if well designed and executed.

Advice = choose a driver with a Qts of at least .40 and a relatively high fs (30 to 35 hz).

does it matter on which size subwoofer i use? are certain sizes easier to find with the requirements(Qts of at elast .40 ect)

Also, what is the stuffing that is used, and how is it installed?

Polyfill works as the stuffing, how much you use is determined by your ears and what design you use...it's one of those things that you need to build, stuff, listen, adjust, re-stuff as needed.

Is there a formula to determine tge length of the pipe used? id probably use PVC, will that work?

What will happen if i use a subwoofer that doesnt meet the requirements? I have an old 8in in my room from a previous project, but its from one of those home theater in a box deals.

Edited by geraldo

For a subwoofer line, PVC generally isn't very practical. "Port" lengths are too long, so unless you're considering a 14-foot high straight pipe like Nelson Pass used I'd go the slot route. Although few things are as visually (and sonically) impressive as a sub pipe that's over two times as tall as you and is flat to 13Hz :drools:

If you're even thinking about a TL, http://www.t-linespeakers.org and Martin King's http://www.quarter-wave.com are both required reading.

Did you ever build your TL? You can decrease the length of your tube by building a concentric design... a smaller tube inside a larger one. The sub mounts to one end of the smaller tube and the smaller tube is inserted centered in the larger tube, which is capped off at the far end. The open end of the smaller tube is held away from the capped end of the larger tube with stand-offs. This creates a 180 degree bend through which the sound travels and reverses direction traveling back through the larger tube. This design cuts the length of the tube(s) in half. However, you must use the right size tubes or tuning will be impossible. If you really wanted to shorted the length, you could use three tubes. Of course, choosing the right sizes becomes more complicated.

It's just another option.