Sign in to follow this  
Karleon

DB numbers

Hmmmm, i want to get the most of my system. I love the really really deep ground shaking bass. My current set up is 2 Magnum D2 12s running off a Tsunami 1800T. My enclosure is a lil bit more than 2 cu ft each and its tuned @ around 29-30hz. It gives me lots of the ground shaking bass i love, but i thought i would be hitting higher numbers than what im hitting. Last time i had a chance with a mic i hit 142.3 I thought that was really good, because i was thinking it was the termlab. It was actually an AC. I just found that out. Now im disappointed. I see many people on the boards who have a similar set up, but are hitting way higher numbers.

I just finished a competition box, which ended up being a bit too big for my car and it was tuned to 46hz. So im going to have to sell that and build another box. Anywayz, by tuning my box higher and closer to my cars resonant frequency, i know i should see higher numbers, but will i loose that deep ground shaking bass i love? I listen to nothing but rap music in my car, so what kind of tuning would be best? Or does that sound like an accurate number for my box tuning?

A tuning difference from 29 Hz to 45 Hz is a HUGE difference. You'll still have bass, and lots of it, but it won't drop as low as before. Just look at where you're tuning the enclosure to. SPL drops off dramatically below tuning due to the way vented enclosures operate. Your SPL score might go up but you will loose low-end.

PS: Keep in mind that the type of vehicle, enclosure type, enclosure placement, electrical upgrades, altitude, temperature, and all those other good things come into play with SPL. The same exact setup in two different cars will result in two different SPL readings.

What frequency is that measurement at?

I have no clue. it was my first comp., and i just played a cd i have with all kinds of frequencys. I really love competiting. My friend has 4 memphis 12s in his SUV and he hit 148 at the last car show. I know i can get up there with my Magnums, but its going to be hard considering i have a honda accord and he is in a suv. And i think his box is tuned to 45hz but it gives you lots and lots of that ground shaking bass i love. So i figured i would see how a higher tuned box would work for me. I dont know, i just really want to get the most of my set up. And since im not a hard competitor i dont know all the tips and tricks all of you guys do. I searched though, came up with a few things, just dont know if that will let me put up the numbers i want while sounding the way i want.