Sign in to follow this  
Mino

Looking for a Nice active set on a budget

im looking for a nice 2 way active set to run, they are going to be powered by 2 Gladius w. BB the price range i would like to keep it all under 400 but willing to go a little bit higher maybe 500 even... im more sq oriented i love detail... i listen to mainly rock/ acoustics... but generally anything... i like strong detailed midbass and more of a mellow tweeter... this is going to be my first real DIY setup... im pretty much looking for a well rounded set that can handle all types of music... any suggestions would be helpful, ill probably browse madisound and list items that look good

its going into a 2000 Acura Integra, im not sure of the mounting depth in the doors but im guessing i have 3-4" to work with maybe more

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_i...products_id=541

never used a textile dome before

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_i...products_id=823

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_i...products_id=818

if you can list other speakers w/ their pros/ cons that would be really helpful in my decision

:thanx:

Can you fit a large format tweeter?

The L18 will have more "detail" than the CA18, but has one heck of a cone mode breakup in the upper register making it very unusable with that LPG.

im sure i can mount a large format tweeter with some modifications... its either going into the stock tweeter location or in the A pillar... are the excel that much better? if so ill proll wait and save up for them i was also looking into scanspeak revs, but they are dam pricey...

wish you lived closer so i can hear your setup... most ppl i know have BB, CC, cartoys, crap... so nothing close, i have a friend thats running some dls iridiums but thats about it

I would buy the Nextels for a car and not the Excels, but if you are referring to midrange clarity and detail yes they are WAY better. The L's smoke the CA's in that realm as well. The disadvantage of the Excels in general is playing above 1200hz, the L's really aren't much better though requiring a large format tweeter that can play low. To fit your budget I wouldn't hesitate to go with the L's and match them up with the Peerless HDS tweeter. Would be a killer setup that fits in your budget. The next step up dollar wise I'd say would be the Nextels. The Rev's won't give you the detail of either of those Seas. If you were willing to give up a little midbass the Peerless Exclusive is also a great sounding driver.

i wish i had some input on these speakers, but never used them....

but just out of curiosity, what are you using as your active Eq? and what will you use as a crossover point for either or both the combinations?

but i just took a look at the products mentions above...i'll agree with ///M5.....that tweeter looks like it would work great...i has a low Fs so it would be easy to cross over at a low frequency

i have never really messed around with active but would like to...///M5, what would you suggest as a crossover point for the Ls with the Peerless HDS tweeter...just a starting point...because i know there is allways tweaking that goies into an active set-up

sweet i think i have my new setup thnx ///m5 if i have patience and wait till next week ill get the HDS and Nextels... im not sure what the xover points are going to be but ill be using the p880prs for all the eq stuff

yeah those tweets look like they will work good with just about any of the speakers mentioned above...

how much are the nextels though? i am not sure that i was looking at the right ones...

ps i know......lol

DAMN! those are a little spends...lol 360 in mids alone....

as i always say, i can't wait to see a build log...but with this one..i am more than excited

DAMN! those are a little spends...lol 360 in mids alone....

Audio Technology C-Quenzes were around $360 each :)

Just fine. I am thoroughly impressed with the HDS.

As for the crossover points, it will really depend on mounting locations, integration, your desires/ears and so on. Personally I would start with the L18 playing up to around 1kHz and the HDS from 1.6kHz up. From there keep moving them closer together until it sounds good to you. You also have to compare all sorts of different slopes and phase responses between the drivers.

A few generic rules:

Underlapping is usually better than using the same crossover point or overlapping

The higher in freq the L plays the higher the slope you will need

I have never heard an active setup where I didn't feel that changing the phase on at least one driver wasn't beneficial

If your tweeter/mid aren't very close together and have fairly normal PLD's you will need to play with your time alignment.

Don't be afraid to listen to a single driver at a time when choosing your crossover points & slope

im pretty excited to get started on this project... by the looks of today's check im gonna go w. the L18s hahaha ill be ordering he speakers later today then the waiting game begins... just received my new p880prs via fedex earlier today woot...

ugh ran into some problems... i went out and too a look a all the possible areas i could mount the HDS tweets, but theres literally no room. theres no way possible it can go into the a pillar, maybe with a fiberglass enclosure it would look really bulky, then i took a look at my doors... i wanted to mount them behind the stock tweeter placement, but my door is oddly curved so i cant fit it in there... im just out of ideas :ehh: any suggestions on what i should do... does anyone have pics of the HDS installed? ... id rather not do kick panels since i am fairly inexperienced in making them

or is there any other small format tweet that would work well with the L18s?

My favorite choice is the Scan Speak D2904/6000 but you aren't going to like the price at all.

The low cost alternative is the Seas Neo, but regrettably the HDS is a WAY better tweeter to match up with that mid.

is there a way to i guess reduce the diameter of the flange? or will that mess up the speaker? if i did my math right its about 4inches in diameter...

Nope, it is huge and along with its size comes a great lfe (for a tweet) and a wonderful response.