Sign in to follow this  
casual

First time build advice and critique

New to the board and I am doing my first build. I am aiming for more sq than spl.

working with a small budget but so far I have:

headunit-pioneer 590

speakers-pheonix gold rsd 6.5

amplifier- hifonics txi 4406

Now I just need help deciding on sub and sub amp. I was thinking of 1 10", but i am not sure if this will be enough bass for a civic. Again i do not need spl, just something to sound tight while in the car.

Nothing to rattle the car apart

Trying to keep it around 800-900 for everything

Suggestions, comments, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to SSA first off. But may I ask, have you bought equipment already? Or is that just what you have nailed down? And how much of the $900 have you used up so far?

We will help out and work towards you getting your goal.

Thanks for the welcome. I was beginning to think that this was going to be a dead thread.

The equipment that I have listed is what i have already bought and installed. I would say that the equipment and wires etc took around $400 out of the budget.

Right now, I have the amp running the rsd's (I hope I bridged it correctly for max power) and the factory rears should be running off the headunit, however I think maybe I need to check my wiring because the rears are not playing.

I basically wanted some comments on what I have thus far and some suggestions for sub amp and subs (not only a brand but whether I should go with 1-10" or 12" or 2- 8" or 10"). I want bass to fill the car without taking over the trunk

Some amps and subs that I have looked at recently are:

blaupunkt 1400

oz matrix elite 10"

Don't worry, we don't have dead threads, some just get going later then others. Anyway, so it apprears you have 4-500 left to work with. I would advise to not worry about the rear speakers. If you really wanted to save money you could run the front two channels of your amp to the PG's and bridge the rear two for a 4 ohm load sub. If not, we could look for a nicely priced sub/amp set up.

Side note: I dont mean to push product from the shop, but there is a great deal that is running out on a Sundown Audio SAX-100.2 amp and a pair of Sundown Audio SD-1 10's for well under $400. Special Link.

The owner of Sundown audio has the official Sundown Audio forum right here on SSA, and the customer serivce is top notch. For a little more you could run the same amp, and grab a pair of the Fi X 10's that are on clearance price at approx $150 a pair shipped. Either way you are getting a great SQ set up that does not require electrical upgrades and will provide plenty of output for normal needs.

The two SD-1 / SAX-100.2 package is a *great* sounding package. I have that setup in my Civic :)

So I will take it that you guys suggest i get 2 10's.LOL

I just do not want to drown out the front of have the car rattle to death.

also, will i need a equalizer or will the one in the headunit be enough

Neither of you commented on what i bought so far. I am not sure if that is a good sign.lol

also, if i wanted to be a little cheaper than both the sundown and the fi. how would the maw10 compare

So I will take it that you guys suggest i get 2 10's.LOL

I just do not want to drown out the front of have the car rattle to death.

also, will i need a equalizer or will the one in the headunit be enough

Neither of you commented on what i bought so far. I am not sure if that is a good sign.lol

The head unit and speakers are fine. I am not fond of HiFonics amps of recent years. If the output is too much you can gain back the subs.

As for the MAW-10, it is a great sub for the money, no doubt. It would require a 2 ohm amp. Good ebay price on JBL amp.

also, if i wanted to be a little cheaper than both the sundown and the fi.

I mentioned the Sundown combo because it was well with in the 4-500 range you had left to work with.

ill give ya the thumbs up for the Sundown package as i use SD amps to win Finals this Yr...

Very Clean / Strong amps... :slayer:

i also agree with Denim: as Hifonics amps are not the most relyable..

@ the shop i work @ 9 outta 10 come back within 30 days DOA

P1010424.jpg

SD.jpg

Edited by Lord Baccus

New to the board and I am doing my first build. I am aiming for more sq than spl.

working with a small budget but so far I have:

headunit-pioneer 590

speakers-pheonix gold rsd 6.5

amplifier- hifonics txi 4406

Now I just need help deciding on sub and sub amp. I was thinking of 1 10", but i am not sure if this will be enough bass for a civic. Again i do not need spl, just something to sound tight while in the car.

Nothing to rattle the car apart

Trying to keep it around 800-900 for everything

Suggestions, comments, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can think of a lot of speakers, even in passive sets, that I'd choose before those RSD's.

The build quality of that level of Hifonics amp would turn me off to it. Just not very good.

You need at least a minimal level of sound deadening...enough to do a few layers on the front doors and trunk lid, at the least.

You gave me a tough blow Jim but i respect your honesty. Sometimes there are just soo many choices and it is hard to make a decision. Now that I have the hifonics, i wish i would have gotten a more powerful amp, but i suppose that is part of the learning curve. I have to admit though that......for the price, the rsd's give a pretty clean sound. I will run them until my ears seek higher ground. I will take your suggestions for next time though Jim

So no one has any feelings on the blaupunkt 1400.

Not that I do not like the sundown, but i recently heard this amp paired with a 12 oz matrix and the sound was some of the best i have heard.

how many other installs have you heard other than the blaupunkt 1400 on the Oz matrix?

the power ratings on that blaupunkt are quite low, though that really has nothing to do with it, it's just that it's not quite a quality product and you won't be getting much out of it.

here is one thing i learned and say this to a lot of people when they begin.

You get what you pay for.

it is understanable that you are on a budget. we have all been there and most of us have bought chitty ass equipment cause we were sooo stingy that it all burned out within a month, but if you look at quality over price then your going to end up with better results.

the recommendations given so far are equipment that i too would recommend. also as Jim stated about getting some deadener when possible because civics rattle a lot. i recently put 2 10 Fi X's in my friends 98 civic coupe in a bandass enclosure and there is quite a lot of panel rattle. though aside from the rattle he stepped up from 2 old 10" kenwoods to his Fi X's and couldn't be any happier with the amount of bass he is getting. as for an EQ you should be fine with the Eq off the H.U.

Look in the Fi Car audio section of the forum for details, or you can email sales@ficaraudio.com.

(i'd find and post the link but my laptop battery is about to die- I will tonight for you if I can though).

Edited by tejcurrent

heres the direct link http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...showtopic=12012

Im also debating if i want to pick up a pair of X 10s for another install... Fi has great products but even better customer service...

dont worry to much, since this is your 1st build... its the only way your going to learn

my suggestion is save some money for sound deadener its a must and the install generally is the most important part... it makes a difference between a "OK" sounding system from a "great" sounding system