Sign in to follow this  
jdizzle

BL power handling question

says they're rated at 1000rms

im getting 2 18" BLs d1s with cooling options, could they handle 1600rms a peice?

my box is built its 8.5 cubes (before sub displacement) tuned to 35hz

Sounds like you already bought drivers, but if you have not and that is 8.5 ft^3 total, I would suggest you go with 15's, not 18's. You could do a pair of BTL 15's with the cooling option for $100 more than the BL 18's with cooling option and flatwind coil.

It has been said over and over - The drivers are rated for what Fi feels is safe. Some people actually manage to mechanically kill drivers with less power, while others have no problem with a lot more. . .

if i got BTLs i'd be underpowering the subs though correct?

ps im just going off of what the amp is rated at not bench tested it claims 3200 at 1ohm

and i wanted to make sure they'd take this before ordering them to be on the safe side....the box is already built with cutouts for 18 inchers

Edited by jdizzle

or i could possibly get the d2s insted of d1s and drop the power down to (rated) 2500 at 2 ohms

After displacements you will be running each sub in 4 ft. How hard would it be to rebuild that baffle?? I think you will be happier with 15's.

As far as "underpowering" a BTL, 1600 watts RMS is plenty of power for a BTL. I love to over power subs, but 90% of the time I bet my subs see less than 500 watts each and they sound awesome. (I know many people will disagree with me).

Not sure what to tell you on the power rating. . . Are you the type that drives around at full volume all the time playing every song you can find with the deepest bass? If you know what you are doing, you will be fine, if not, you will be posting "I need a recone for a BL 18" in a couple of weeks. . .

As scott has said over and over, if you run that much power, make sure your subsonic filter is set correctly!!!

Brian

baffle won't be hard to rebuild i might just go for another amp im reall stuck on the 18 bls, i was just going to use the amp cause i had it for awhile

i could go with this...not sure how great it is but i've heard quantum is pretty decent stuff http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-4000-WATT-2000w-RM...1QQcmdZViewItem

im only lookin to spend 4-500 on an amp..will go used if i have to

Edited by jdizzle

Use your amp and buy dual two ohm subs like you mentioned above. . . .less stress on the amp and plenty of power for a pair of BL's.

EDITt - you might also want to post the question on a couple of forms if that amp actually makes that much power. I have not seen many $350 amps that actually make 3200 watts RMS.

I would be more concerned about the box size for 2 18's than the amp.

I ran an avalache 18 in 4.55 ft^3 (before displacement), and it was ok. Before I cut the baffle for the 18, I was running an avalanche 15 in the same box and it sounded MUCH better.

I rebuilt the box for the 18 at 6.5 ft^3 and it was a big improvement. . .

Brian

Edited by BKOLFO4

do not, i repeat, do not run them in 4 or 5 cubes a piece.

my buddy and i have ran them in 5.5 and 6 cubes a piece off 1.25kw and 1.5kw respectively. the low end left something to be desired, by a wide margin.

with 8 cubes, i would DEFINITELY pick up a pair of 15's. a pair of 15's in a good box will outshine a pair of 18's in a bad constrictive box.

car died today...thrown rod FTL...gettin a 97 isuzu hombre (doing a walk through) BIGGER BOX FTW!

since im gettin a new truck and it has a camper shell im gonna be running a walk through doing everything to Fi's specs and going to be running 2 sundown 1000ds wired to 1 ohm on each...how big of a box should i run the site says 5-10cubes @ 30-37hz?

Stay within our guidelines and your good to go...everything is posted in the sticky section in the Fi Technical forum.

Thanks!

I would not get that Quantum amp. A local shop started selling them, and I'd have to say they're very misleading (and not putting out rated power).

The BLs and the Sundown 1000s sound like a great combo. Too bad with the other vehicle, but now you can build a large enough box :)

Sign in to follow this