donpisto

15" or 18" driver...so confused

Let me start off with the basics. I have an '01 Accord and I'm looking to do at least 140 on music, but the louder the better, but I want it to sound pretty good still. So, in the works is possibly a 5200, whether it will be a 15 or 18, I don't know, thats why I'm comin to you guys.

I have a 170A alt, Odyssey 1200 under the hood and 2150 in the trunk. I have an RF T30001 for my amp. I'll be able to do either a 15 or 18 ported (the 18 requires 5 cubes after all displacement). THis works great for me since I fit in an enclosure that was 5.5 cubes after displacement.

Whether a 15 or 18, it will fire up due to height restrictions. I'm just wanting to know what will be the difference of having a 15 or 18 of that driver? Pros and cons of each. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

why 140 and what do you mean by "sound pretty good"

The 18" would require a larger enclosure...that's about the only possible downside to it. Nothing wrong with more cone area.

I think the 15 needs about 3.5-4 cubes and the 18 is 5 cubes, so i'm good.

140 because I'm in the upper 139's and I'm not satisfied. By sound good, better than a DD 9515. I ran an RL-p 18, and loved the way it sounded, very smooth and accurate. Just sucks that i can't port it since it would be too small of an enclosure.

If you're already at 139 and not satisfied, you'll need to do more than just get to 140, you're going to have to get in the mid 140's at least. Be proactive and look into hearing aids now :)

By sound good, better than a DD 9515.

That's pretty much anything on the market.

If you're already at 139 and not satisfied, you'll need to do more than just get to 140, you're going to have to get in the mid 140's at least. Be proactive and look into hearing aids now :)
By sound good, better than a DD 9515.

That's pretty much anything on the market.

LOL. Well sound as close to good as the RL-p.

Considering you only are competing with a DD you could *pukes* port really high and just run the 15. I don't think for you goals you have enough space for the 18 although it would definitely be my preference

I don't have the DD anymore (and happy without it). My RL-p was in 5 cubes sealed and had plenty of room. Just trying to weigh the differences between going with a 15 and 18 sound wise.

bah..i ran my s18x in just over 5 cubes and got mid 40's all day every day. yes, they like bigger, but with enough power, they'll work fine in smaller.

go 18, not much overall difference in "sound quality", the 18 will have the cone area advantage and will, should be, able to drop lower. i'd try and port the rl-p and see how it works.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Can't port the RL-p, would need minimum 7 cubes :(

As for the 5200, as an 18, it doesn't require much space. The 5400 is similar and needs about 5 cubes. I've been told that unlike most 18's they don't need such large enclosures for being ported. I decided to go with a 15 since I will be able to save some room for the amps and battery and hopefully have some cargo space. I'll definitely post pics up of the driver and the enclosure will be somethin new for me since I plan to get some nice wood to clear coat it. Only thing now is if i want to get a lighter or darker wood.

Reason why I'm going with the 15 rather than the 18 is because even though I really enjoy the lows of an 18, it doesn't deliver like I would want it to in the 50's and 60's Hz range. I have DLS Iridiums for my frontstage, however I'm not too sure how much midbass I'll have in the 60+ Hz range. Either way, I'll be happy I think. Gonna tune to 31 Hz probably for the 15.

Reason why I'm going with the 15 rather than the 18 is because even though I really enjoy the lows of an 18, it doesn't deliver like I would want it to in the 50's and 60's Hz range. I have DLS Iridiums for my frontstage, however I'm not too sure how much midbass I'll have in the 60+ Hz range. Either way, I'll be happy I think. Gonna tune to 31 Hz probably for the 15.

That isn't 15 or 18 dependent...