Sign in to follow this  
egoaudio

BTL 15"

How does the BTL 15" stack up against the 15" tc sounds 3000 series?

Ill leave this one to others. I cant even remember what a 3000 is at this point motor wise... even though I am rather unbiased with my opinions :)

Thanks guys. Just kind of curious about Fi audio's top of the line.

The TC 3000 was one of the drivers I looked at when I decided to move away from the MT's and go with something new. They look nice, but I kept thinking back to my TC experience. . .

My previous experience with TC was the Stryke AV15's when they were first built by TC for John. Not to bash the 3000 driver, but here was my experience with TC:

Ordered AV15's on preorder.

Received them after the long wait and was excited to try them out.

First time I played them, I bottomed them multiple times before the advertised Xmax on not much power.

Set up a jig to measure, and the coil was bottoming 6 mm before the advertised Xmax.

Called John. He verified and determined TC built the entire first shipment with the coil wound wrong.

Now the good part - I sent them in for recone.

Called them multiple times, they ended up moving and lost my drivers, so they eventually had to send 3 new ones.

Got them back ONE YEAR after I sent them in.

All three were put together so the (+) and (-) terminals on one coil were backwards.

Had to test and determine which one was wrong and mark it so I would always know.

Still did not have the correct coil clearance for advertised Xmax, but I was not about to deal with sending it in again.

Sold all three.

There were a few other drivers I considered too, but all the time was thinking the BTL would be similar in sound to the MT (and it is with a little more low end in my setup), which I really like for a daily beater.

Brian

Edited by BKOLFO4

Ouch.

Sign in to follow this