dropkick13

Coaxial vs Triaxial vs Component

w/out getting into the high dollar range, are components worth the harder install over co/tri axial speakers? I'm getting my lows (sub) squared away now, I got the Avic D3 head unit, so now it's time for speakers. Currently, I got the stock bose and I'm not sure if I've heard a worse 'premium' set up.

I'm going to say I have about $200 to work with for speakers

In most cases, you get a better tweeter and better crossovers with components, and the tweeter over the woofer also causes a funky response if you happen to be on axis with the driver (usually not the case in a car).

90% of the tri-axials I have heard sound terrible compared to the coaxial in the same series. Normally, they are not crossed over correctly and you end up with a top end that is too bright for me. But I guess that is some peoples preference.

Your best bet is to not listen to what I or other have to say. Go listen to actual speakers and decide for yourself. . .You will spend the most time in your car, so get what sounds good to you!

Brian

I agree with Brian 100%

the ONLY thing I want to add is the x/o's in componants is they are typically made better and provide a much cleaner sound. Plus it gives you the option as to where the tweeters sound best.

J

I agree with Brian 100%

the ONLY thing I want to add is the x/o's in componants is they are typically made better and provide a much cleaner sound. Plus it gives you the option as to where the tweeters sound best.

J

I understand I can't really ask "ok guys, what sounds the best" because we all have different ears, tastes, and musical preference. But I am going to need suggestions when I really start shopping (not yet, still learning the basics) because I'm not allowed to leave my school's campus mon-thurs and friday is my drive home from school day (from ny to maryland). So really I only have Saturday and part of sunday which I always have packed with tons of other errands.

I've heard that 3 ways typically suck so I'll probably rule that out right now. I guess I'll start w/ this question: Can 'decent' coaxials be had at a $200 budget (for front and rears) ? I'm going with a pretty 'bass head-ish' setup with the subs so I'll need something with highs that won't be too over powered

In a perfect world, coaxials/triaxials are ideal, in home audio there's many very expensive coaxial designs out there that sound amazing, it's the ultimate point source.

But in a vehicle, you don't usually have the luxury of controlling everything in the environment like you do in a room...so having the ability to separate tweeter from midbass could make a huge difference.

the ONLY thing I want to add is the x/o's in componants is they are typically made better and provide a much cleaner sound.

Even then, prebuilt passives aren't really great...

In a perfect world, coaxials/triaxials are ideal, in home audio there's many very expensive coaxial designs out there that sound amazing, it's the ultimate point source.

But in a vehicle, you don't usually have the luxury of controlling everything in the environment like you do in a room...so having the ability to separate tweeter from midbass could make a huge difference.

the ONLY thing I want to add is the x/o's in componants is they are typically made better and provide a much cleaner sound.

Even then, prebuilt passives aren't really great...

so what will happen, will you hear distortion with coaxials or what? In reality, I could have a midget with a tambourine in my glove box and it will sound better than my Bose

A midget, sweet lol

I have had nice sounding coax, a few triax. Problem is they think the triax are for high power and they often sound nasty. They will have less bass/midbass and the highs can be too strong. I like coax better because of that 'typical' problem with triax. Triax can be nice in the right application, like someplace that will muffle the highs. We used to use them in boats near the floor all the time, or if you have speakers way in the back of a van/suv under a heavy stock grill, things like that. Comps tend to be nicer, but mostly in mounting options (per price). They do open up the mid, and you often can get better staging with better tweeter positioning. I have some boston comps right now that sound nice except I can't get the midbass out of the 5x7 without pushing the eq hard. It could be the install is somewhat at fault, have not worked on it yet. On the other hand coax might or might not handle higher power, I have blown a few and I am always nice to my speakers. When I listen to them I look for not harsh or strong but a little airy highs, good bass and lower voice sounds...less in the upper voices. If I have a mounting that is covered/not as well heard, then more treble/voice is fine long as it is never screaming at me. More expensive tends to sound better, but not always.