Sign in to follow this  
Breakjunki

front stage SQ questions??

after a little debate.. well not too much :) I've decided this has to be asked on this forum not ROE, where most consider SQ to be 2 pair of loud Pa speakers with no tweets :) I'll be running a set of tc 3hp motors w/ fi top ends.. dare I say Sealed, over there If I mentioned sealed I'd be crucified :) But on to the front stage. I have a alpine 7949 deck, and a sony xm5046(mobile es) so plenty of power for a nice front stage. First time running active. I usually run passive comp sets, which I have liked, but want to try my hand at active and see the differecne. I was considering a set of seas excels, with a lpg tweeter. What would you suggest that would sound as good and maybe be a littlke cheaper on the mid than the excels.. All help appreciated. Thanks, JOe. P

Edited by Breakjunki

The Seas L series (aluminum) have gotten some pretty favorable reviews to the Excels...but unless they're directly on axis, not so sure. In a car, I'd probably go with the Nextels if you wanted something a little cheaper...

What kind of car is the install going with?

Im running the Seas CA18's right now with the 27tdfc (large format textile). Sounds great so far but i plan to convert to an LPG 26 or 25 series for my 3 way.

Also, what are you planning on doing for the speaker install? doors? kicks? ON/OFF axis?

planning on doing the mids in the kicks, firing across pointing to about each headrest.. and the tweets in the sails.. WOuld there be a better psotioning??

oh yeah. its goin in a 93' blazer

Edited by Breakjunki

i wouldnt go into it with a direct plan on placement, but rather make some temp. mounts for them and test them at different angles, positions, etc.... then you can get a good idea on where they sound best in your car

I was looking around. considering the seas 1" dome 27tffn. and maybe 2 of the 6.5 vifa mids in each door. (in the autosound section) all on madisound. sound like a good match?? the tweeter is on soft domes, page 3..

Edited by Breakjunki

Beware, your original set won't work at all. The LPG is good from about 4k up and the Excels only to about 1200hz.

Before recommending anything we really need to understand the limitations of the install: locations, size etc...

thanks M5... well space isn't a problem.. I can build kicks or pods to fit whatever I end up with.. Thats the reason I was thinking 2 6.5(or6-8) in each door and a tweet per side either in the door or sail...

what about the vifa mid/ seas tweet combo above?? ^^^^

Since you used SQ in your first post, I will state that if that is truly your goal you really shouldn't run two speakers on the L or R that play the same frequencies. I will even go so far as to say I think you should definitely underlap your drivers. This rules out 2 of anything per side. Do remember in the SQ world the install is WAY more important than this driver or that (within reason, obviously the Excel/LPG combo isn't right as I stated before)

So taking into account what you said. What would be a good mid/tweet combo, 6-7" mid, and 3/4- 1.5" tweet. That would work well together active.. I'd like it to be able to get loud when needed.. Lets say, for a budget $75 or under per mid, and $100 for the tweet set, give or take?? Thanks, Joe P

I understand what your saying when you said underlap the drivers range. But what problems would arise from running 2 midbass per door and a tweet, versus 1 mid/1 tweet per door.. Thanks for bearing with me. I've always ran passive components, first time going active.. Thanks.

All sorts of interference and cancellation, to turn the question back onto you what advantage is there to running two drivers playing the same frequency/

I was figuring 2 mids/ and 1 tweet per door, to cover adequate midbass.. But I'm hoping with the above post and price guidelines per mid/ tweet, you could suggest a few diff set options? thanks, JOe

Edited by Breakjunki