Sign in to follow this  
Yanks Fan

15" MAG Box Size

Today I picked up my 15" MAG and found it to be in excellent condition. Bought it off CA for $200!! Anyway for the next couple weeks I'll put it in a sealed box until I get the chance to talk to Woodlawn Cabnitry (Phil Salisbury) in person about fitting a ported box in my trunk. SI's site suggests 2.3-3 cuft sealed. I couldn't find driver displacement on SI's site so I'm guessing its around .19 (using Fi Q's displacement, fair assumption?). For those who have used their Mag in a sealed box, I was wondering what size the enclosure was, how the results were and if you would suggest it being a little bigger or smaller. Right now I'm thinking of 2.5cuft after driver displacement. Or about 2.7 before driver displacement.

Also, for the ported box. I've had some people tell me 4cuft to 30 hz. The previous owner told me he had it in a 3.5cuft to 30hz and he said it was perfect. And I've had people telling me go with 3.8 to 30 hz. Its a common theme to do 30hz and I've been set on that and will be set on that. Anyone used a 15" MAG in any of those boxes and how'd you like it and would you make it bigger or smaller? If you don't have experience, then give me your best answer. SI suggests 3.5 to 30hz for the record. Thanks guys.

- Yanks Fan

Congrats on your purchase!

There is a search function on the board that will easily answer all your questions.

For your best results, follow the specs on the website exactly. Nobody knows the driver better than Nick and what he suggests is optimum.

I have messed with both size drivers in pretty much every application immagineable, so as long as you stay within his parameters, you'll be more than pleased.

Nice buy.

that was me. :D I have it in a 3.3 cuft box before displacement that was initially designed for my Fi Q so i think the box is a lil small.. but it sounds good and will get plenty loud if i ever want to turn up the gains.. thinking about putting some polyfill in to help with the small box..

3.3 cubes sealed is plenty big enough - there is absolutely no reason to go larger. The driver meets its "perfect" box alignment in less than 2 cubes, but it performs the best right at 2.5 cubes. Making the box larger is only going to raise your F3 but extend your F10...which will do you no good listening to music.

I have a 15" D2 mag and its in a 3.25 ported at around 34hz, I love it.

Right, that enclosure is just fine for great performance. :)

The other question/post regarded a sealed box size of 3.3 cubes. You can port it in an enclosure that large.

I'm sorry not to hijack this thread but this f'n 15 is rediculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I removed it because I was going to sell my car and then reinstalled it today and wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jaw dropped. Great work stereo integrity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait for the shallow subs to be in production :D

Cool man, I'm glad you like it. :) I hate to say this because it might make me sound stuck-up, but your response is pretty normal. :) Enjoy the sub my man!

Just realized I never came back after I installed the Mag. Installed it about 2 weeks ago and this sub has exceeded every expectation I had for it. Just wanted to say thanks Nick for building this great sub.

By the way, I ended up putting it in a 2.95cuft sealed box after driver displacement. Building a ported box for it this summer sometime.

Again, Nick thanks bud for putting up with all of my PMs lol.