mrray13

REVIEW SoundSplinter Rl-p12d2

i just recently finished the install for this sub (pics in show-off forum<------shameless plug :boink: ) and i gotta say...it is everything advertised and more!!

BUILD QUALITY

is excellent. looks like a lttle excess glue above the top spider around the former, but i can live with that. same 4 spoke cast basket as many subs including treo and memphis. this thing weighs in at 30 pds...8 pds heavier then one of my treo 15's! all things equal, easily comparable to the best subs out there

MUSIC REPRODUCTION

WOW, can this thing get low! using a bass mekanics cd, i played everything from test tones to sample tracks. this thing just reproduces adn doesn't quit! it also chase the kick drum of metal around too! very little overhang as the sub keeps up with every knock of bass! clearly a great sq sub!

SPL

with the factory h/u still in place, this sub is at a disadvantage. as i turn up the volume, the h/u cancels out the bass to protect the factory speakers. even with that against it, the sub is loud. the bass on the h/u is set to 0, the bass boost on the amp is off and the gain is just about 1/3 turned up.....any more on the h/u or gain and the sub KILLS the factory system(until u try to go louder and the protect thing kicks in)which, btw, is the monsoon premium 245watt 7(9 if u count the rear tweets on the 6x9 subs) speaker variety. after i can talk the wife into a aftermarket h/u(preferably with a screen), i believe the sub will be a boomer!!

ENCLOSURE

is a sealed chamber, aprx 1.25ft^3(might be a touch smaller). it faces backward into the trunk for a little spl gain. i don't really want to make a vented one, but i might throw the sub into a prefab just for a listen.

POWER

is a hifonics nemesis nx750d. this amp is rated for 750wrms at 1 ohm. that is what i have the sub wired for, so hopefully, that is what it is getting.

COST

i paid $225 for the sub, including shipping. this is a pre-production run, no logo on the sub and the cost will go up a little soon. msrp is around $490 and i would gladly pay that for it!

THE FINAL CALL

like i stated earlier..this sub is all that is advertised and then some! it is well worth the money so far and i don't forsee any reason why it shouldn't be in the future. for anyone looking for a great combination sql sub at a great price, i would recommend this sub be put on the list of those shopped. also, mike over at sound splinter is just an awesome guy. he'll answer any and all questions and is a pleasure to talk too!

THE RATING (1-5 scale, 5 being the best)

build quality is a 5, simply a monster sub

sq is a 5, reproduces everything thrown at it..quickly and can get loooooow!

spl is a 4, though the box and h/u is holding this down, vented and no restrictions...wow, this thing will/would be a monster

value is a 5, for what i paid..i wasn't expecting half of what i got!

check out soundsplinter here and holler at mike...u won't be disappointed!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Hey there.. I can't even tell you how great it is to hear that you're enjoying your new RL-p12! B)

Being new in this market and just starting out, it is a relief and a pleasure to know that our products are making their listeners happy. I also really appreciate your enthusiasm in helping get the word out as that obviously means you're seriously enjoying that sub :D

For anyone else who is interested, I figured I'd let you know that our full printed inventory should be available very soon and that our Grand Opening sale rates will be available only until September. You are of course welcome to reserve units under our sale rates which will be shipped upon completion of their manufacture.

If you have any questions or even comments about what you may want to see us carry in the future, or how you think we might improve our structure/appearance/information/color of the sky... hell, anything ;]... feel free to hit me up at mike *@* soundsplinter.com

Looking forward to providing more of you with some arsekickin' bass! :boink:

Take care and thanks again for your kind comments mrray =]

Hey there.. I can't even tell you how great it is to hear that you're enjoying your new RL-p12! B)

Being new in this market and just starting out, it is a relief and a pleasure to know that our products are making their listeners happy. I also really appreciate your enthusiasm in helping get the word out as that obviously means you're seriously enjoying that sub :D

For anyone else who is interested, I figured I'd let you know that our full printed inventory should be available very soon and that our Grand Opening sale rates will be available only until September. You are of course welcome to reserve units under our sale rates which will be shipped upon completion of their manufacture.

If you have any questions or even comments about what you may want to see us carry in the future, or how you think we might improve our structure/appearance/information/color of the sky... hell, anything ;]... feel free to hit me up at mike *@* soundsplinter.com

Looking forward to providing more of you with some arsekickin' bass! :boink:

Take care and thanks again for your kind comments mrray =]

anytime mike!!

thanks for a great product man!!

i'll be showing it off tomorrow at a little get together..hehe :ugh: :+1:

Rl-p :wub:

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Hmm, I'm in the market for a new 10" and unfortunately my favorite woofer manufacturer doesn't make 10s. These are looking very interesting. Great review!

Get a new HU behind the wife's back. B)

Hmm, I'm in the market for a new 10" and unfortunately my favorite woofer manufacturer doesn't make 10s. These are looking very interesting. Great review!

Get a new HU behind the wife's back. B)

hehe..behind her back?? :ph34r: i'd like to stay married a little while longer...hehe :thud:

even still, she is considering letting me put a screen in, probably will be a panasonic. time will tell....

also..for sure check into soundsplinter 10's...they are monsters in their own right!.. and i believe would make a great addition to any vehicle..( a pair might find their way into my silverado)..

oh yeah....

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Great review man :)

Might have to give them a whirl sometime.

- Steve

Sounds like a killer sub man. Have you tried it out on Death metal??? I know Six Feet Under was one hell of a test for my Vipers when I got them. Still kept up though.

J

Sounds like a killer sub man. Have you tried it out on Death metal??? I know Six Feet Under was one hell of a test for my Vipers when I got them. Still kept up though.

J

wassup man? long time..eh?

no death metal yet......i have played system of a down, slipnot and hehe..godsmack. so far, there isn't anything it hasn't kept up with.....but i'll look up and download some six feet under and put it into the prix!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Do you know how long the pre-production run is? I am wondering how the driver will look once it becomes an actual production piece. I am eyeballing that 10" so bad right now. The wallet is the only thing holding back the phone call.

i believe it'll be up around the end of this month...i know he has said the prices listed will be good till september....but he said u can reserve at the pre-production price...

i am also thinking about a pair of the tens for the silverado...

AARRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.......decisions!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

The price is almost too good to be true.

the prices offically end this weekend..HOWEVER..mike said just mention ur from one of the caraudio forums..and mrray13<--j/k..lol...and the prices will be good till the end of september!!

oh yeah...very legit prices...one of the few things that are indeed too good to be true..but are true!!

so hurry up and reserve urs today!!! :+1:

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Edited by mrray13

Yeah, I read that. I would order them now, but I have to get tires for my Turd. Trying to unload some other drivers I have lying around. Thanks for the info!!

no problem! that' what i'm here for.....

or wait..is it to be a problem??

oh hell..i can't remember..

WAIT..yes i can

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Sent them an email, awaiting a response. I'm kinda torn though. I only need 1 10", but for the price, I might as well buy 2. What do you think? Also, how was the shipping done? Nice box? Quick? Banged up?

I'm also curious as to how many people are currently running their drivers, and if they have plans for coming out with some more equipment.

u should get an answer tomorrow to ur email...sunday latest..but i'm betting tomorrow

more is always better..lol :+1: but it depends on what ur after really..hell, u know that...but ur right..the price makes u want to get two whether u need tow or not.

shipping was excellent!..the sub was encased in a two piece cardboard baffle/brace. it couldn't have moved unless the box fell apart. and it was quick, not overnite, but within 7 days!

all in all, the best internet purchasing experience i've had...based largely on mike just being a great guy.

of course, the sub being killer helps too!!

Bet! You just made a sale for the man! commission time! :D

Bet! You just made a sale for the man! commission time! :D

make sure u mention that to mike..lol

iwouldn't mind a pair of those tens myself...make a nice commision, eh? :+1:

u won't be disappointed..i love my rl-p! :wub:

annd yeah, i've said it before, but i'll say it again..mike is a great person to deal with!

enjoy ur tens..hehe

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

It will be maybe a month before I have the funds, but I can definently vouch for their customer service. I have been talking back and forth with Mike at Sound Splinter and he has always replied within 24 hrs and answered my questions thoroughly and has been very straight forward with me. You already know the product is awesome so now you know that the customer service is no problem so hurry up and order some subs!!!!

Tom

It will be maybe a month before I have the funds, but I can definently vouch for their customer service. I have been talking back and forth with Mike at Sound Splinter and he has always replied within 24 hrs and answered my questions thoroughly and has been very straight forward with me. You already know the product is awesome so now you know that the customer service is no problem so hurry up and order some subs!!!!

Tom

another referral..lol..

i need to get paid!! :soap:

hehehahehaheha

oh well..for what i paid for my rl-p..i did get paid..though a pair of tens would be nice..hehe :+1:

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

AHEM....correction, we need to get paid, this is tomcat2251 lol

AHEM....correction, we need to get paid, this is tomcat2251 lol

yeah i know..hehe..but i directed u that way first..hehe..pyramid scheme..lol..i get paid for u getting paid..yeah :boink:

sides..ur avator gave u away..lol :thud:

Edited by mrray13

Just got an email from Mike. 10s are out of stock until first week of September. Works out perfectly for me money-wise!

kewl...told ya it would be today!!

he's waiting on the cones to come back from the printer....

i imagine this logo will be on them..but who knows???

mike is a cool guy..eh?

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

post-7-1093128072_thumb.jpg

Very much so. He said they will look the same except for the emblem copper-embossed on the cone in the middle. Should be sweet I would think. We'll see. Ordering next week. :slayer: