Sign in to follow this  
tharookie

battery isolator?

ive got a optima yellow top up front a nd two n the back by my box.im fixn to order a 200 amp alternator but was wondering if i need to get a battery isolator.will that help or what.i need some feedback on this.thanks everybody

i ran one..... and i say no dont do it/

the only time you need one is if you plan on playin your bump while the car is off.

but keep in mind if you have say a 200 amp issolator if your pulling close to or more then 200 amps you may fry the issolator thats what hapend to me!:D

i say no. you will just waste time. and the coolest part of having an issolator is that you can jumpstart your self with a dual issolator... dig it

At a point i had a 3 batts...

Reg car bat

Kinetik

Odyssey

all wt no isolator and a 250a alt

never had a problem

now just running wt out the reg batt..

My bat has never died...Left blinkers on for hours...played radio for hours wt car off never had any problems

It's not a must have ,but if you have the extra change get one. They do keep batts from robbing the weaker one and will save your batts life span. Most important they help keep a stable operating voltage on the main battery,which will help your O.E.M equipment over the long haul and your well aware of the price of that stuff.Make sure you get a alt that is internally regulated like Powermaster products. :)

It's not a must have ,but if you have the extra change get one. They do keep batts from robbing the weaker one and will save your batts life span. Most important they help keep a stable operating voltage on the main battery,which will help your O.E.M equipment over the long haul and your well aware of the price of that stuff.Make sure you get a alt that is internally regulated like Powermaster products. :)

All valid points, but.........

When the starting battery is low, the isolator cuts off the back batteries to recharge only the starting battery. You continue bumping, and all of a sudden (if you're pulling a lot of power), you rear battery voltage is down to 10v, and your amps shut off, or worse yet, you get the magic smoke, and can't figure out why. I've hooked DMMs up, and seen it happen, but cut it off before the voltage got down to critcal levels on the rear batteries.

My advice for anyone is not to use one, and just don't bump with your car turned off. Besides, I need that extra amperage from the front battery to the amps....lol

When the starting battery is low, the isolator cuts off the back batteries to recharge only the starting battery. You continue bumping, and all of a sudden (if you're pulling a lot of power), you rear battery voltage is down to 10v, and your amps shut off, or worse yet, you get the magic smoke, and can't figure out why. I've hooked DMMs up, and seen it happen, but cut it off before the voltage got down to critcal levels on the rear batteries.

My advice for anyone is not to use one, and just don't bump with your car turned off. Besides, I need that extra amperage from the front battery to the amps....lol

WORD

WORD

cool.so as long as my cars running,i wont have any problems?will they charge back up if drained some during play.[when i stop bangn it]so,even though i compete in meca,i dont need one?i dont really play it alot.only when competing.thanks guys.

shouldn't have any problems wt it off either...an extra batt usually just increases playing time with the car off...

Also the point of the alt is to recharge the batts, so wt a 200a alt u should be fine..

What amp are you using?

If its not over 1200w, i wouldn't really worry about alot of this, maybe just the alt. and an everstartmaxxx would suffice

im running one 1500d sundown right now but fixn to order another one.thats why i have the extra batts. and was wondering if i need the isolator.some people say yes and some say no.i dont want to have to spend the money if i really dont need it or if its not gonna help me!!!!thanks and hope to hear back!!!

im running one 1500d sundown right now but fixn to order another one.thats why i have the extra batts. and was wondering if i need the isolator.some people say yes and some say no.i dont want to have to spend the money if i really dont need it or if its not gonna help me!!!!thanks and hope to hear back!!!

i stand by no

i stand by no

Yea, if cranking a big system, especially with the car off, you should be watching the voltage. If you are draining the back batts you are just straining your equipment, why would you want to ever run that low.

[they never get low when i run cause im only playing them for 30 sec..13.5 is the lowest my voltege has dropped.plus im not running it w the car off,and when i do,its only 4 30 secs..if i need one,where can i get a good deal on a 200 or 240 amp isolator?thanks everybody for ur help!!!!yes or no guys.

[they never get low when i run cause im only playing them for 30 sec..13.5 is the lowest my voltege has dropped.plus im not running it w the car off,and when i do,its only 4 30 secs..if i need one,where can i get a good deal on a 200 or 240 amp isolator?thanks everybody for ur help!!!!yes or no guys.

if you never play it with the car off then you DO not need one. but you can get one on ebay, i used the COLE HERSEE

[thanks guys.ill spend it on something better like another 1500d!!!!!!!!!!thanks for everyone help!!!!!!

[thanks guys.ill spend it on something better like another 1500d!!!!!!!!!!thanks for everyone help!!!!!!

chit let me know where your getting your 1500's from! ill trade you a isolator rfor one then!

man its not that.moneys not an issue right now.ill just use that money and put it w some more and get a 1500d.plus,u said i dont need one so ill take ur word.ive got some other stuff ill sell u thats a real good deal!!!!

man its not that.moneys not an issue right now.ill just use that money and put it w some more and get a 1500d.plus,u said i dont need one so ill take ur word.ive got some other stuff ill sell u thats a real good deal!!!!

alright, so just use that money on that new ALT you were talkin about. and im guessing that you have all 0 gauge, and whatnot. are you gonna strap those 2 1500's when you get another?

the alt money is already here.im waitn and gettn the best price right now.so far its ohio gen..im running o all the way.nothing else.1 batt. up front and 2 in the back.it sounds great and really doesnt drop voltage to low unless i play it for a while.im not gonna strap the amp this year unless needed.gotta keep something in my hat ncause someone get a tenth or two more than me.then ill strap them bad boys.what u think i should do

Sign in to follow this