mazzasec

hooking up an extra batt

You need to fuse really soon when you come off any positive battery post to an amp or another battery; they say within 18" but sooner the better. You need to fuse again smaller if you downsize the wire after that.

I was just thinking the front to rear cable is already fused at both ends so you could use that right to the sub amp since it will really need a lot of power. Maybe try a 100A on the rear battery and 200 on the front end? I'm not sure 4ga is going to be good for that sub amp. The high amp you could hook up anywhere with a maybe 60A fused 4ga or something. Just my .02 that seems simpler.

Think I would try a 1/0 fused off the rear batt right into a 1/0 tee, split it to front and to sub amp. Just hook the high amp right to the battery with its own smaller fused wire.

It would be just like running 1/0 right to the sub amp and adding in a second battery with a fuse on it closer to the amp.

Edited by sqguyib

Just use the second battery as a distro. No need to make things more complicated than they are.

This is how not to make a first post on a forum.

Don't be ghetto. Do it right.

I've seen batteries short, it is not pretty. Torching a 16ga wire is one thing, discharging a 1,000+ cca battery or more with a large wire is another. That acid can make a real mess, and/or what melts or burns. You short a wire in your factory loom and you could be in for a lot of work to fix.

I fixed a smashed car once and it quit running after a week, turned out a wire had fried in the loom near the damage. It shorted and took out the ECU. I had to pull all the wiring from the firewall to the front bumper and repair it plus buy a $200+ ECU. It was all wrapped up and looked fine but a wire in the bundle was bad and melted ones next to it, took a lot of hours to fix and good thing I had other vehicles to drive.

I've seen batteries short, it is not pretty. Torching a 16ga wire is one thing, discharging a 1,000+ cca battery or more with a large wire is another. That acid can make a real mess, and/or what melts or burns. You short a wire in your factory loom and you could be in for a lot of work to fix.

I fixed a smashed car once and it quit running after a week, turned out a wire had fried in the loom near the damage. It shorted and took out the ECU. I had to pull all the wiring from the firewall to the front bumper and repair it plus buy a $200+ ECU. It was all wrapped up and looked fine but a wire in the bundle was bad and melted ones next to it, took a lot of hours to fix and good thing I had other vehicles to drive.

so if i wire it like this diagram i should be pretty safe?

finaldigram.jpg

Just use the second battery as a distro. No need to make things more complicated than they are.

Haha. Ok. Because it is so inefficient to use the battery as a distro. right? Obviously you would use an in-line fuse for each of the amps. I see no need for a Distro Block, Especially for the grounds. Run both amp grounds directly to the rear battery (-) terminal which should be in parallel with the under hood battery.

Haha. Ok. Because it is so inefficient to use the battery as a distro. right? Obviously you would use an in-line fuse for each of the amps. I see no need for a Distro Block, Especially for the grounds. Run both amp grounds directly to the rear battery (-) terminal which should be in parallel with the under hood battery.

You're not making friends here. Back off.

You see no reason for a distro for the grounds because you've probably never used one properly.

I didn't say it was inefficient to use the battery as a distro.. just that it wasn't the right way.

You see no reason for a distro for the grounds because you've probably never used one properly.

I didn't say it was inefficient to use the battery as a distro.. just that it wasn't the right way.

What's incorrect about it?

Roger that.

In my diagram are they being hooked up parrarlell? Cause I just read that you need 2 of the same model and age to hook them up. Or will it do fine hooked up to my stock battery?

Parallel is the only way you can hook them for 12v. I've never had a problem w/different batteries but if one battery is bad like drops a cell...it will kill the charge in the rest. Ideally they should be the same type and age. IMO if they are all in good condition it should work ok.