Sign in to follow this  
chrismcdonald12

Big Box, Big Dilemma.

So the time has come to finally make my box as work has slowed down and my carpenter (father) has some time to help me get a enclosure made for my pair of RE SX 15's. My major dilemma here is that the opening for the trunk limits the size of the box to be rather small compared to the trunk size unless i do one of two things...

Option 1, Build the box in 2 halves then screw together inside the vehicle. Other then volume taken up for the small 2 inch border around both halfs of the box i plan to connect them with, what other problems could the pose for the sound of the box? I'm able to get like 12 cubes into this trunk if i am able two to part this box...

Option 2, Build the box short so that the subs are both firing up, will be able to get roughly 9 cubes and will slide in like a dream with 6 inches of head room. The angle of the trunk limit box lengh but not width for install.

Also, i plan on going about 3.5-4 cubes per SX AFTER port and speaker displacement tuned to 34 hz.... Anyone have some experience with these subs and can suggest a good size and tune for these speaker? If i use the short box it will be up firing, in a trunk isnt it loudest for me to port and face the subs toward the rear of the vehicle?

Given information about the car....

Saturn L200

Trunk with fold down rear seats, opening behind seats roughly 32x12 inches.

Im looking for a loud daily pounder, im looking for alot of output but dont want a sloppy farty one note wonder thats why i bought 2 RE SX 15s and a kicker 2500 to push it.

Anyone with box design / building experience mind giving me some help, ide appreciate it alot.

Edited by Chrismcdonald12

That is hard to tell from here. I have seen some people forced to build or add final panels from inside the car.