boardpile

4 atlas 12's - need a little help wiring

with ANY sub, not just the atlas..follow this diagram from jl audio....if they allow hotlinking

DVC_Series_1.gif

If you changed the qt of the sub from high-mid-low wouldn't that essentially change the parameters of the sub? A change in parameters would constitute a different box size for each, wouldn't it? Dustin, your previous post confused me. You said you tried low qt and had better low end response, then said low again and it was punchier with not as much low end. I guess i want to get the lowest response i can without sacrificing to much spl from 30 to 60 hz..................hence the reason i'm using four. Any one stuff these things in different sizes of boxes other than 1.25 cf. for a single 12?

If you changed the qt of the sub from high-mid-low wouldn't that essentially change the parameters of the sub? A change in parameters would constitute a different box size for each, wouldn't it? Dustin, your previous post confused me. You said you tried low qt and had better low end response, then said low again and it was punchier with not as much low end. I guess i want to get the lowest response i can without sacrificing to much spl from 30 to 60 hz..................hence the reason i'm using four. Any one stuff these things in different sizes of boxes other than 1.25 cf. for a single 12?

opps my bad, i meant high qts seemed to have better low end and spl in a sealed box while the low qts was real punchy, and tight. also yes changeing the qts will change other specs as well and box size, 1.25 would seem good for a 12. when i make boxes i allways make them a tad small then if i don't like the sound i add pollyfill. the pollyfill makes the sub think the box is larger then what it is, it also dampens the back wave so it doesn't work against the cone, resulting in better low end.

also to vladd i see what your saying now, i was thinking of something way different.

the qts will change other specs as well
By changing the wiring, you are not actually changing the Qts directly. You are changing the Qes (the electrical Q). Qms (mechanical Q) stays the same as well as the rest of the parameters. Qts is the relationship between Qes and Qms so naturally it will change when the Qes is changed. Here are the parameters I gave boardpile over at AVS:

Ascendant Audio Atlas 12 (low Qts)

Fs 23.20 Hz

Re 2.80 Ohm

Qms 4.90

Qes 0.35

Sd 481.0 cm2

Vas 128.5 l

Xmax peak 18.00 mm

Ascendant Audio Atlas 12 (mid Qts)

Fs 23.20 Hz

Re 2.80 Ohm

Qms 4.90

Qes 0.47

Sd 481.0 cm2

Vas 128.5 l

Xmax peak 18.00 mm

Ascendant Audio Atlas 12 (high Qts)

Fs 23.20 Hz

Re 2.80 Ohm

Qms 4.90

Qes 0.58

Sd 481.0 cm2

Vas 128.5 l

Xmax peak 18.00 mm

Ascendant Audio Atlas 12 (6ohm)

Fs 23.20 Hz

Re 4.20 Ohm

Qms 4.90

Qes 0.24

Sd 481.0 cm2

Vas 128.5 l

Xmax peak 18.00 mm

When modeling in Unibox, the 6 ohm setting yields the lowest Qts. Even though it isn't measured, the Bl is probably the highest since both coils are not getting power. It was the model driven to xmax with the lowest power.

-Robert

So basically you can build a 1.25 cf box and just play aound with the 2 ohm coil to alter the frequency response?

pretty much ya, you can adjust the 2ohm coil in any box to meet your listening preference.