Sign in to follow this  
mightypecan

Adire Shiva MK IV (I think)

How do I get an excursion graph within WinISD? I am using the 0.44 version, should I get the other "pro" version for this? BTW, here's a better modeled SPL graph, so you see the difference in each sub a little better (zoomed in more).

Green = Cerwin Vega 15"

Red = Cerwin Vega 12"

Yellow = Dayton 12"

aop8nn.jpg

Edited by mightypecan

I've only used the Pro version then I switched to Unibox and haven't looked back.

I don't like the hump in the response of the CV 15". My guess is the final Q is around 1.0. Correct?

-Robert

Actually the airspace for the 15" comes out closer to .9 cf. The Qtc is 1.15.

I think, for this box, the 12" seems the most stable (probably best musically sounding overall as well?). If you'd like to see how it looks in Unibox, please do so.

If I wanted to sacrifice more space, I'd gladly make a larger box for a 15", but this box is a bit larger than the one I had the Shiva in for a couple of years, so I'd like to stick with it.

I did another curve with a Kicker L5 12". There is still a hump, but not as drastic of a hump.

Obviously it's the orange one...

ddos51.jpg

I don't like a Qtc that high on any sub. You may get unlucky and that peak is also the resonant frequency of your car. Your sub will be a one note wonder then. The only way I'd go that route is if you have an EQ with a lot of bands or an fully parametric EQ and the proper equipment to test the car and set the EQ. If someone could make a DC power supply for the Behringer Feedback Destroyer, that would solve everyone's EQ problems.

-Robert

I think the Cerwin Vega 12" is still the best option so far, wouldn't you agree?

These are the Qs

The CV 12" is 0.67

The Dayton 12" is 0.73

All the others I have tried have been 1 or greater.

The basic goal, correct me if I'm wrong, is to have the smoothest curve possible? It looks like the CV and Dayton stay pretty similar in response, just the CV is slightly louder. I can actually get it cheaper as well.

I just installed a CV 12.4 v-max for a friend of mine. I put it in a 1ft^3 with no poly fill. this is in a 2000 toyota celica powered off a kenwood 8103 500 @ 2ohms. I don't think you will be disapointed. He listens to alot of hard rock and it works great. We were playing around with it and played some rap and this sub was flexin his car like crazy. Overall I was very impressed for a sub costing under $100 it is very musical and at the same time has very smooth output.

Good luck

Chad

Thanks for letting me know Chad! That Kenwood does about the same as my MTX amp, so that's a pretty good comparison. I was thinking no polyfil as well since a cubic ft seems to be a pretty good fit for that sub...at least in a sealed application.

Update:

I changed the sub out to a Cerwin Vega VMAX 12.4...same problems. I then took my amp to a mobile electronics shop to have it evaluated. I believed it could have been the RCA inputs, as these MTX amps are known to have broken solder joints. This wasn't the case. The output transistors were gone. I think I know why, but that doesn't matter anymore. The repairman said it would be pretty pricey; rather look into getting a new amp. Keep in mind these guys aren't affiliated with any shops...they would have sent me somewhere if this were the case. Anyhow, I once had two MTX 6500D amps. I was going to have each power a 15" a while back, but actually sold it with my two 10's in the ported box I had a few years back. The guy who bought the stuff sold them to another guy I knew. I got in touch with him and he wasn't using the amp...just picked it up today...so...what's the big news?

THE SHIVA IS FINE! I first listened to the Cerwin Vega and it was okay, but didn't hit as low as I am accustomed to nor did it seem to get very loud. This was a 2ohm load.

I then put the Shiva on...4 ohm load. WOW. It totally kicks the crap out of the CV for this box. I added a little polyfil to the box, so I know they helped a tad, but it just moves way more air and doesn't get distorted nearly as easy. I'm glad this sub is fine.

BTW, anyone need a Cerwin Vega VMAX 12.4? :D