Sign in to follow this  
SomeDonnieDude

Voice coil and motors

Hello, I am new to this forum and was hoping some of you guys could help me out. Do most company's build their motors to accommodate certain VC configurations, or is FI the only ones who do that? I plan on buying a 3HP or possibly a TC9 motor or woofer in the near future and wanted to know if it was a SVC 4 ohm sub, could I fit a DVC 4ohm coil in there? If someone can give me a heads up of what company's do or don't do this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

I guess what I'm asking is there a difference between the single and dual coil motors, or are they altered? I emailed eclipse to see if they can help, but I'm not counting on it.

Same motors just gives you different ohm options, single 4ohm=4 ohms only, dual 4 ohms=8 or 2 ohms etc...

Hello, I am new to this forum and was hoping some of you guys could help me out. Do most company's build their motors to accommodate certain VC configurations, or is FI the only ones who do that? I plan on buying a 3HP or possibly a TC9 motor or woofer in the near future and wanted to know if it was a SVC 4 ohm sub, could I fit a DVC 4ohm coil in there? If someone can give me a heads up of what company's do or don't do this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

Yes, you could would most likely just have to get an extra set of terminals and hook them up, to the other side of the basket.

Awsome, Thanks guys. Hopefully I can find a motor now. What do you guys think of the TC9 motors? Are they worth messing with, or should I just set my eyes on the HP3?

Awsome, Thanks guys. Hopefully I can find a motor now. What do you guys think of the TC9 motors? Are they worth messing with, or should I just set my eyes on the HP3?

The TC-9 is a pretty solid and proven motor -- with good parts it can make a great speaker. Just about any coil fits in the gap as well, it has a great deal of flexibility as the gap is pretty wide.

I'll keep that in mind. i found a couple of eclipse aluminums and a few Tc9's, How much power can these handle daily?

I'll keep that in mind. i found a couple of eclipse aluminums and a few Tc9's, How much power can these handle daily?

My tc9 motor subs (10" tc sounds oem's) were seeing ~1700 watts each daily, and actually took that in free air as well.

Depends on the coil geometry. But you can expect probably 600-1000 W for the most common coil/gap combinations.