jack

A very popular class of amp, 1200 @ 2 for lowbucks

So I stayed home sick from work, Tues/Wed and I built an enclosure. Go to Car Domain and look up the build here; http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3007534 or try the link below

Enclosure Photos

SO the 2 subs are these, each sealed in a 1.268 cu ft enclosure and both facing backward in the trunk of a Toyota Camry, All thanks to Jason @ Cadence.

Cadence 12 SE SOLO BEAST DR,

SPECIFICATIONS:

Voice Coil: 2.5"

Impedance: 2 Ohm Dual Coil

Power Handling: 600 Watts RMS / 1200 Watts PEAK

Magnet Size: 90oz.

Xmax: 1.12" Full Stroke

Frequency Response: 20Hz - 500Hz

SPL @ 1w/1m: 87dB

Mounting Depth: 6.5"

FEATURES:

Mineral Filled Polypropylene Cone.

Oversize Butyl Rubber Surround.

Heavy Duty Cast Aluminum Frame.

Extended and Vented Motor Structure .

Four Layer Kapton High Power Voice Coil.

Progressive Linear Flat Kevlar Spider.

Does this sub look familiar to anyone? Have you at least seen the frame before? Soundstream? I honestly think that I am seeing the same design elsewhere an that frame design is pretty easy to identify

So first off, what do you think of the subs? Anyone out there with any experience using them or a similar sub? What amp did you use?

I have a Kenwood kdcx-491 HU

And for the amp that is currently hooked up;

Cadence TXA500HC it only puts out 600 watts at 2 ohms,

Now for the amp question, here I am copying part of another one of my threads that I had posted only in the Sundown forum where it got two comments after about a ton of views. I have updated some of it's details and remved unnecesarry info.

"I would like to be at about 600@4ohms and 1200@2ohms if possible so that if I choose to I can run only one sub at a full 600wrms and potentially upgrade subs in the future. Sure I'd like to say that SQ is all I want but, not in the trunk, SPL is what a sub if for IMO.

I would like to compare actual numbers, for example, I've considered only 13.6-13.8 volts is actually getting to the amp in my car (big 3 upgrade, check, 4 guage, check, old-ass half-dead stock Toyota Camry 4 cyl alty, check!) and, for example, the Hifonics amp is maybe 10% overrated (so I've read) then to actually deliver close to 1200, or more, watts at 2 ohms .

So far I think that these are my best choices (if I missed a good option please speak up) choices, each can be purchased and shipped from eBay for $275+/- 15-20 bucks and this is the top of my price range. (Yes I understand that you get what you pay for, but those words do nothing for my hobby budget, says my wife and daughter)

A MTX TA 8101 (slightly underrated?) 500 @ 4 and 1000 @ 2 (1500/1) (Or the 7801 that should have the actual power to get me there and at the lower end of my prices so far (4*35 fuses))

B. What about the new Soundstream PCA1500D 800 @ 4 and 1100 @ 2

C. PG RSD 1200.1 775@ 4 and 1200@ 2

D. Lanzar Opti2000d (i have no idea) 700 @ 4 and 1100 @ 2 (1600/1.3 and 2600/0.5)

E. US MD2 (probably low) 550 @4 and 1000 @2 (1500/1) Maybe $50 more than the rest or I've seen a couple recently for 250-275 shipped supposedly "NIB" or "never seen power" but from joe people.

F. Sundown SAZ-1500d would be higher on my list if the price were a bit more in my humble range

G. Fosgate t series or power series?

H. Kicker zx1000 (Probably low) 500 @ 4 and 1000 @ 2,

I. Hifonics BXI 2006, (slightly overrated?) 650 @ 4 and 1300 @ 2 (2000/1)

Of these amps, does anyone have any actual experience with one or all of them, If so I want to hear about it, good, bad or indifferent, what are some of the strengths and/or weaknesses of each amp?

***Radical Idea. I've even considered going a little creative and buying 2 Cadence TXA 750 D 600 wrms @1 and strapping them for 1200 @2, it would be a bit of a pain and require some additional money and mods but then I could use 1 at a time in different cars, Just a thought. What other similar dual amp setups can you think of? Any?

I'm not even trying to pose like I really understand 100% of everything completely about what makes one amp superior to another on paper and I know zero people locally who have experience with these things and this is a relatively new hobby for me. And I'm not lazy either, it has taken me quite a bit of time and effort to get this list this long and confusing!

And it's a big list! so I need some help! I am unusually dependant on the online forums for assistance and I am too analytical to throw a dart at the list, I need a "why" for my decision.

So, what is the best or any other option? Is there a dealer in Atlanta, GA giving out great deals? Or anything for sale by an individual? I'm open to "used" if A. its a person selling it and has references and B. I pay a "used" price but (not someone looking to get all of there money back.)

What would you pick?

Is there another option that you would chose that is not listed?

Thank you for your valuable time! It is greatly appreciated!

I will try to help on a few. I have not heard the Cadence subs, so I cannot comment. But as far as amps go, of your list, the PG & kicker seems to be the most fitting. The Sundown is a very good choice due to the power/quality/customer service for the money, it does its serious power at 1ohm. On the idea of the pair of Cadence amps strapped, I am not sure that model can be, but check with JasonPaul to be sure. But probably buying one stronger amp would be the better solution in the end. I hope that can help narrow it down some.

Thanks Denim, that is some good input!

Damn is cadence still making subs ? Been a while since I have seen any from them. The basket design is used by several companies. Soundstream as you mentioned , they also look vary similar to the older orion baskets ( original hcca era ) :)

If SPL is what a sub is for, why are you running them sealed?

Holy post batman.

I got low on cash and sold my zapco's and replaced them with a Hifonics bxi1606d and zxi6406. (running two RE SE10's ported) I gotta say, I am very impressed with these amps. The sub amp will pound for hours and not get hot, I dont think it overrated cause it seems to do the power it says. Makes my poor little accord shake violently. I was really worried about sound quality, but although they are not on the same level as the Zapco's the sound quality is very good. Plus, I now have about 1200 watts more system power for less than half the price and it is not killing my electrical system as bad.

JimJ, that's a good question, One is space and two is that if you could see how smooth the power and response curves are with these things in a sealed box and now that I hear how smooth and hard the bass hits, after making the decisioon based on the charts, I wouldn't change a thing.

Ramos, these had been in inventory for a bit, but yes, they have plenty of new subs out there.

Holy post is right John

Sonic, thanks for the good recomendation, you're not the first person to tell me that so there must be soomething to it.

Thanks Gentlemen, your time is apreciated!

lakaiguy,

does it stay cool, does it put out the full power, all the features and functions, are they pretty straightforward? (You're the first guy I talked to with the PG)

Thanks man!

theres some bench test results somewhere on the PG forum and I forget the results but I remember everyone saying how good the amp was and how underrated it was.

and from my experience over the last year I definetly agree

I have it pushing 2 12" RE SEs in a smalled sealed box and it hardly ever gets even slighlty warm

I'm pretty sure sonic doesn't have a clue as to what he's talking about.

The Hifonics amps are overrated. There's no getting around that.

They do NOT sound like Zapco amps. There's a stark difference between spending $200 on an amp and $600 on a better amp. Zapco made it's name in SQ. Hifonics made it's name in cheap power, which progressed into cheaper-not-so-great-power.

Lakaiguy, How do you like those SEs, I've heared that they are smooth, do you know off of the top of your head what the sealed enclosure vol is? Thanks for the amp review, it's much appreciated.

Johnecon, Thanks for the passionate rebuttle to Sonic's review, you almost make it sound like you are offended at the thought. I would love a car full of Zapco. These just happen to be two companys that I have heard much about, and to me, let me ask you all if this is a close to accurate analogy, I kind of see it as comparing a Hyundai Santa Fe to a Land Rover Discovery, the Discovery is sharp looking, stands out, a v-8, has prestige, history, off-roading niche cult attraction like Zapco has, or at least used to have the "do it yourselfer amp modification" club type of attraction. And these things command a higher price Then there's the Santa fe, never pop the hood, consmer reports bext buy, probably rides just as good on the road, but no Camel Trophy contests for it, and it's more efficient (better gas mileage), buy its a snappy v-6 and not an 8, Hyundai has a negative connotation to it from years gone by, but they have a whole new car now and I hear that it's pretty good one, just in different ways.

Then there's me, I drive an 04 explorer, Eddie Bauer, v-8, Loaded (7 pass, Power roof, 6 disk premium,,, you get the point) with an MSRP of maybe 3k less than the Discovery. I drive this car because I got zero down, zero % financing for 72 months, so basically I drive it because I'm only making the payment f the Santa Fe. So that's what I'm looking for in an amp, whatever is closest to the zapco, for the price of a crunch pzi, maybe that's the Brutus, or maybe that's the PG, or the Lanzar, I dunno, that's what I'm asking you all.

Thanks again for your help,

Wow, I just re-read that and it's pretty deep! he he

Edited by jack

my actual box volume is like .94 cu ft gross

and the subs recommended volume is 1 cu ft net

The Land Rover to Hyundai analogy is almost a correct match to Zapco vs Hifonics, except for the fact that Hifonics has gotten worse.. not better. They used to be brutally powerful amps that took a serious beating. Hell back in 2004 they had a HUGE forum following.

There are some lines that Hifonics has that do do rated power. But they aren't the BXi, TXi or ZXi line.

Check out the XXV (Goliath on up), that should knock your socks off with power.

Back on track bump, progress report...

My current top 1200 watt + RMS @ 2 ohm list is getting shorter!

Rankings are,

a MTX TA 81001

b Soundstream PCA1500D

c Lanzar Opti2000d

d US amps MD2? (available in price range?)

e Sundown SAZ-1500d

f Hifonics BXI 2006

Fosgate t series or power series- eliminated, can't find close enogh to price

Kicker- eliminated, only stable to 2, right?

PG RSD 1200.1 eliminated, only stable to 2 right?

Reminder of what purpose it will serve below

"I would like to be at about 600@4ohms and 1200@2ohms if possible so that if I choose to I can run only one sub at a full 600wrms and potentially upgrade subs in the future. Sure I'd like to say that SQ is all I want but, not in the trunk, SPL is what a sub if for IMO.

I would like to compare actual numbers, for example, I've considered only 13.6-13.8 volts is actually getting to the amp in my car (big 3 upgrade, check, 4 guage, check, old-ass half-dead stock Toyota Camry 4 cyl alty, check!) and, for example, the Hifonics amp is maybe 10% overrated (so I've read) then to actually deliver close to 1200, or more, watts at 2 ohms .

So far I think that these are my best choices (if I missed a good option please speak up) choices, each can be purchased and shipped from eBay for $275+/- 15-20 bucks and this is the top of my price range. (Yes I understand that you get what you pay for, but those words do nothing for my hobby budget, says my wife and daughter)

Of these amps, does anyone have any actual experience with one or all of them, If so I want to hear about it, good, bad or indifferent, what are some of the strengths and/or weaknesses of each amp?

***Radical Idea. I've even considered going a little creative and buying 2 Cadence TXA 750 D 600 wrms @1 and strapping them for 1200 @2, it would be a bit of a pain and require some additional money and mods but then I could use 1 at a time in different cars, Just a thought. What other similar dual amp setups can you think of? Any?"

Thanks again!

Am I understanding you wrong? Did you pull the Kicker and PG because they met the 2 ohm load mono you wanted or am I missing something? :shrug:

that's a good question, in the search to narrow down the list I was thinking of future versitility/options and I figured that a 2 ohm limitation would be as good of a place an any to start, if you have other criteria that you think would help narrow things down, let's consider them, or if you think that something else should have been the first cutting question, I'm all ears. I appreciate any input!

I'm pretty sure sonic doesn't have a clue as to what he's talking about.

The Hifonics amps are overrated. There's no getting around that.

They do NOT sound like Zapco amps. There's a stark difference between spending $200 on an amp and $600 on a better amp. Zapco made it's name in SQ. Hifonics made it's name in cheap power, which progressed into cheaper-not-so-great-power.

Did you even read my post? I never said they were the same. Have you owned them or are you talking from what you have heard from others? I can say that I have run both in the same car as well as other amps. And I know what I have heard. If you think they are underrated, then you should see my poor accord shake apart from the two RE SE10's. Of course the biggest amp that I have owned is a JBL bpx2200.1 and I cant say that it was twice as powerful as the Hifonics. So that leads me to believe that it is rated accurately. If you have any test reports that shows it grossly underrated, I would definately like to see them. Cause I am not claiming to be right, just giving my opinion

Back on track bump, progress report...

My current top 1200 watt + RMS @ 2 ohm list is getting shorter!

Rankings are,

a MTX TA 81001

b Soundstream PCA1500D

c Lanzar Opti2000d

d US amps MD2? (available in price range?)

e Sundown SAZ-1500d

f Hifonics BXI 2006

Fosgate t series or power series- eliminated, can't find close enogh to price

Kicker- eliminated, only stable to 2, right?

PG RSD 1200.1 eliminated, only stable to 2 right?

Reminder of what purpose it will serve below

***Radical Idea. I've even considered going a little creative and buying 2 Cadence TXA 750 D 600 wrms @1 and strapping them for 1200 @2, it would be a bit of a pain and require some additional money and mods but then I could use 1 at a time in different cars, Just a thought. What other similar dual amp setups can you think of? Any?"

Thanks again!

I admit I have never used em, but how did the lanzar get up on your list?

Edited by sonic

figure i'll throw this out there seeing as im in a bit of a pickle myself with this

an amp to consider you can find on eBay that will fit your bill perfectly is a JBL BP1200.1

Its what I'm currently running to my BL. I have no idea the RMS i'm putting out. But i did find an old car audio mag that tested @ 13.8V it put out 1380RMS i think @ 2ohms

so it might be what you want depending on your electrical. As far as durability goes, its been through everything in my car. One of my grounds even came loose and the amp was like going in and out and shorting out and everything and it was smelling really bad. I thought it was a goner for sure. Checked the cables for it...boom, bad ground fixed and its back up and running like it never even happened

ill be interested to see what you get though because I bought a D1 sub and its a difficult thing to upgrade the power for it.

haves, I can't find much on the BP1200.1 I don't think that they make it anymore??? Maybe it was replaced with the JBL GTO1201.1??? What I have found it looks like it's only stable to 2 ohms? maybe? Do you know what the replacement was for sure? or anyone? and is it still a tank or what?

Sonic, The Lanzar (OPTI not vibe) wound up on my list by a couple of recommendations and some research. Highlights, Stable to 1/2 ohm, 180 amp fuse rating, well look below,

SPECS

Mono Block Subwoofer Amplifier

0.5 Ohm Stable

MOSFET Power Supply

PWM (Pulse-Width-Modulated) System

Double Sided Epoxy PCB Circuit Board

Gold Plated RCA Inputs

Custom Terminal Block for Speaker Connections

Thermal, Overload & Short Protection

Remote Bass Control

Soft Turn On/Off

700 Watts RMS Power into 4 Ohms

1100 Watts RMS Power into 2 Ohms

1600 Watts RMS Power into 1.3 Ohms

2000 Watts Max Power into .5 Ohms

2600 Watts Bridge Max Power Into 2 Ohms

THD @ 1Watt/4 Ohm: 0.1%

S/N Ratio: 90dB

Frequency Response: 15Hz - 150Hz (+/-3dB)

Damping Factor @ 20Hz/4 Ohms: 400

Low Pass Filter: 50Hz-150Hz, 24dB/Octave

Variable Subsonic Filter: 15Hz-40Hz, 24dB/Octave

Variable Bass Boost: 0 to 18dB

Variable Phase Control: 0 to 180

Input Sensitivity: 200mV ~ 8V

Input Impedance: 10k Ohm

Line Output Impedance: 100 Ohm

Fuse Rating: 30A x 6

Dimensions: 10.08'' (W) x 2.12'' (H) x 19.1'' (L)

And I've heard that it does all that it says it will. At this point it's definitely a leader in my mind. For the 300 price tag that is.

Compared to say the 160 amp rated mtxta81001

Thunder Super Amplifier

Prizm EFX: Selectable Lighting Color, or Pusate to Beat

Xtant Technologies Cooling: Thermal-Regulated, Turbo-Charged Intercooler

RMS Minimum Power Rating:

500 Watts x 1 Channel @ 4 Ohms

1000 Watts x 1 Channel @ 2 Ohms

1500 Watts x 1 Channel @ 1 Ohm

Wired EBC Remote Subwoofer Bass Level Control Included

CEA-2006 Compliant

Strappable with Another TA81001

Power and Protection LEDs

Parametric Bass Control:

-12 - +12 dB Bass Control

Variable Bass Control Frequency: 30 - 80 Hz

Variable Bass Control Q: 0.5 - 4.0

Onboard Crossover: LP (40 - 200 Hz), Sub (20 - 50 Hz)

Phase Control: 0

Might want to add JBL to the list, they make some pretty solid amps. I just bought another bpx2200.1 and px300.4, cause I really like the SQ and SPL mix. But I hear the GTO line is really good as well. But dont be afraid of the Hifonics, best dollar to watt that I have spent. As far as the Lanzar, the opti series use to be the shizzle, back in the day I had 4 lanzar 12's and 2 opti 500's, it was the baddest thing around at the time. But since pyramid (circle sound) bought them out, I have seen a decline in the amps. Of course I really only have hands on experience with the vibe line. That is why I asked about the lanzar.

sorry i wasn't clear enough. yes, the BP line is not sold currently by JBL anymore. They were replaced with the GTO I do believe. I bought mine from a friend for around 180 dollars which has been a pretty good deal. On ebay I've seen them go for around 200 maybe.

Nut sure how much you like buying used/without warranty, those kinds of things

but its worked perfectly for me being on a budget!