Sign in to follow this  
shizzzon

Sundown below 1ohm

NooB's, DO NOT COMPREHEND THIS POST.

Under 1 ohm coverage is void from Z series Sundown amps so no warranty is implied in this post!

Ok, my question :)

I understand that the warranty is void by doing this but throwing that out the window, i know it's still possible so what i want to know is, when is the amp not safe?

Let's say i got 2 SAZ-1500ds strapped and ran a load at 0.93 ohms. Warranted coverage is no lower than 2 ohms strapped.

I've talked to a manufacturer before and he said about all his amp returns are due to people not knowing what they are doing when they run too low of a load.

What i want to know is, what makes it "ok" to run below that load? I keep seeing that if you keep the voltage up then the amp(s) are happy with playing tones and music.(according to the 1500d power test thread)

Does this also mean if after rise is below 2 ohms strapped that it can still play all day as long as voltage is high?

This is what i am trying to figure out.

I will have a LOT of run of cable present = to 5 runs of 1/0, batt up front, and up to 5 HC600s within 3ft of the amps.

I also use SMART fuse blocks with a threshold of 12v Flat. Meaning if the power flowing through the fuse block ever receives anything lower than 12v, the block will immediately shut down the output of power from itself until the problem is fixed(it will shut off for a split second even on hard bass notes if electrical system was not strong enough, already tested it a long time ago.) And a 200-300A alt.

So with that type of electrical system and power security, is this sufficient?

For long term life of the amp, does running under it's advertised load even if it never shuts off, stress the components inside too much to cause a failure even if voltage remained above 12v forever?

I am suggesting seeing a load after rise with the lowest reading around 0.7-0.8 per amp on some frequencies.

The point Jacob was bringing up was that yes, the amp is stable under 1 ohm given you have perfect electrical. But how many people can actually afford that kind of amperage to supply the 1500D or a 3000D under an ohm.

Too many people buy his amps that think they can just hook them up and go without the electrical backbone.

To protect his company and I'd assume his reputation, he changed the warranty to 1 ohm stable. Because even at 11v the amp is still functioning in a reasonable manner.

Well see, I'm trying to figure out how his amps really work.

U hear competitors burping down to 0.25 but of course this isn't for music.

However, I have used several 1 ohm stable amps before and when I tried to play music uner 1 ohm, like a rise around .8, it would shut off but voltage was still at 11.4?.

I talked to a company and they say that these people who run under 1 ohm still are stressing the components inside and wonder when one day the amp has stopped working??

This is what's making me wonder if his SAZ amps are more heavy duty and can take potential abuse for long time to come. I do not know of any other amp out there that can. This is why it puzzles me when Jacob, himself, says that with 2 batts the amp was happy at 0.5 ohms. I've just never heard that before.

im a saz owner....... and i run slightly below one ohm, no problems, with a strong back bone. with my car running i never dip below 13.0 unless my a/c is on. a/c headlights, and saz runnin im at 12.8

you say a little, what do you got yours wired at 0.7?

IF that's true then you have no worries because that's normal for a 1ohm stable amp. 0.7-0.9 is normal for a 1 ohm load.

I'm talking about running each 1500d at 0.35ohms DCR resulting in 0.7 ohms strapped.

Rise should be a guesstimate at it's lowest around 0.7 per amp.

Again, i don't wanna know if it'll work. I know it'll work because Sundown has already proved that. I wanna know is it possible to get it to stay working without damaging the amp?

I don't want to stress the amp even if it was fed 13v+ every second.

I just wanna know if it will eventually fail from stress because no other amp i have ever played with has stood it's ground for more than 20 minutes below 1 ohm and voltage above 11.5v

I have many customers that run them daily at 1/2 ohm without issues. One of the first Sundown customers ran his as such for over a year before selling them -- to my knowledge they are still in operation with a new owner ("hoss" on the forums). He had a 200 amp alternator and two large batteries to support the pair at 1/2 ohm each, he also had a properly set gain to avoid clipping the amps.

I am not endorsing it as I no longer warranty that usage and I will not endorse it if I do not support it.

oh i know u dont warranty them anymore like that.

0.5 ohm is anywhere between 0.35 - 0.6ohms ... I don't clip amps and would have 100ah in the rear and 80ah in the front...

I'm still leary about it cuz i see you and this guy run larger capacity batts for the power draw then what i am wanting to do.

I might just skip the idea.

Edited by shizzzon

you say a little, what do you got yours wired at 0.7?

IF that's true then you have no worries because that's normal for a 1ohm stable amp. 0.7-0.9 is normal for a 1 ohm load.

I'm talking about running each 1500d at 0.35ohms DCR resulting in 0.7 ohms strapped.

Rise should be a guesstimate at it's lowest around 0.7 per amp.

Again, i don't wanna know if it'll work. I know it'll work because Sundown has already proved that. I wanna know is it possible to get it to stay working without damaging the amp?

I don't want to stress the amp even if it was fed 13v+ every second.

I just wanna know if it will eventually fail from stress because no other amp i have ever played with has stood it's ground for more than 20 minutes below 1 ohm and voltage above 11.5v

tell that to a hifonics goliath!

hey, what VCs do you have on your BLs? D1s or D2s?

hey, what VCs do you have on your BLs? D1s or D2s?

dual 1 and yeah im seeing 0.70 at the amp.

thanks for info...

You run 3000d, i might as well just use that instead of strapping 1500s together and risking it.

my vid cam got stolen 2 months ago so after i buy all my gear for the car, gotta go get another vid cam just to have vids of my install.

thanks for info...

You run 3000d, i might as well just use that instead of strapping 1500s together and risking it.

my vid cam got stolen 2 months ago so after i buy all my gear for the car, gotta go get another vid cam just to have vids of my install.

[/quote

theres a couple reasons to get 2 amps and strap them...

1. you have two amps... incase say you get another car...

2. if one breaks... you have another that can limp you along while the other is at repair

3. to make people ask questions like.... you have two amps wired togather.

4. it looks sick.

yea but you are not stressin your amp. 0.7 ohms is the lowest typical 1ohm nominal load used today.

Sundown's owner gave examples of what one person did then i read what the owner, himself, uses which by far is greater than what i can fit.

It "might" work but i do not want to take the chance. I am going to be running 3 subs. Three subs is complicated enough just to wire, let alone the possible configurations are somewhat bad... 3 D2s are 0.93 ohms. That's my only configuration possible, heh.

If I was running an even number, it'd be totally different.

I'd have an HC1400 and 5 HC600s which according to Kinetik should supply 4,400w of power + a HO alt minimal 200A.

I know i've already posted that before but again, i'd just rather not risk it.

yea but you are not stressin your amp. 0.7 ohms is the lowest typical 1ohm nominal load used today.

Sundown's owner gave examples of what one person did then i read what the owner, himself, uses which by far is greater than what i can fit.

It "might" work but i do not want to take the chance. I am going to be running 3 subs. Three subs is complicated enough just to wire, let alone the possible configurations are somewhat bad... 3 D2s are 0.93 ohms. That's my only configuration possible, heh.

If I was running an even number, it'd be totally different.

I'd have an HC1400 and 5 HC600s which according to Kinetik should supply 4,400w of power + a HO alt minimal 200A.

I know i've already posted that before but again, i'd just rather not risk it.

well let me know when you buy your amp let me us know!