Sign in to follow this  
shizzzon

Scion tc sub box

Well, i just did some testing with about 30 songs and frequencies from 27-55hz individually with positioning a ported and sealed box around in the hatch to determine what sounds loudest to the ear.

I only faced sealed forward, everything else is for ported.

This test though is with port and sub on same side. I have a sub up port back box but no sub to fit it, lol

Sealed firing forward, right behind rear seat - Basically everything just drops in output. IT all sounds the same, just quieter so that definitely isn't recommended.

Fire rear, box against the back seat- the mid range 50-60hz seems to hit hardest by doing this but not by much more than firing directly forward! The low bass was great.

Fire rear, box 5" from the back door - everything sounded less loud. I do not recommend doing this.

Fire to the side, 5" from the wall - everything sounded less loud. I do not recommend doing this.

Fire forward - This is the setup i want to do and this is what i found out-

Compared to firing rear, the 50-60hz range is very slightly quieter. I'm sure after a couple days you wouldnt even hear the difference.

the lows are surprisingly still existent! I am using a box tuned to 41hz and surprisingly i was getting some pretty good low end output firing forward, 3ft away from my head! With it tuned that high, i tested as low as 29hz in that box before the sound started to become too quiet to even care anymore. This was only on 50w of power by the way.

In the tC, 49hz is suppose to be the Fs of the car. It may very well be too in my case because when cycling through the tracks one by one, when i reached 41hz, the output started to drop a LOT through 46hz. 47hz came back a little, 48hz came back a LOT. You could tell something was about to get loud soon, hehe. From 49-54hz, it was VERY loud for only 50w.

I am probably going to and recommend tuning firing forward for this car between 36 - 41hz.

Even though my box i used to tune was 41, i think i should tune just a little lower so i can gain back some the low end output. Don't get me wrong, 41 hz still has some great low end output but when comparing it to what i heard around 50hz, well... you understand, :)

I believe if you tune below 36hz firing forward that the upper frequencies may not be as loud as they are when i did testing, or as loud as they could be if you kept it above 36hz.

Tune too high liek above 41hz and you might as well say goodbye to lowend.

So, all in all, i'm excited!!! Gotta do some more drawings in CAD and see where i'm at.

My current looks right now are 2 AQ HDC3 12s off of 4,000w tuned to 37hz.

Of course i may change but as of right now.... Wow!

oh and by the way, i need someone to look at this.

You guys first reaction is probably going to be WTF? but i'm serious.

Is there anything bad about the following draw that could cause some major problems -

cad.JPG

That is a picture of 2 12s with 5 4" ports above them. each port is 29" long tuned to 37hz.

The ports must run all the way to the back of the enclosure, make a 90 degree elbow, then head down 6" and end.

Is there anything bad about this because i've never had that many ports before?

Bad as in, i cant run ports like that because....?

or the ports are too close to each other....?

You tell me.

cant do slot in middle. Required more depth than depth of box. If i split the vent in the middle 50\50, the volume a slot port would take up is too ridiculous.

6" aeroports would ONLY fit in the middle, i would only need 2 but they would still need to bend in the back to fit and that takes up just about as much room as the slot port does.

I have done measurements for normal size ports that i can readily obtain -

1", 2", 3", 4", 6" and slot port.

1 and 2" are too small of course.

I can do 3" but not necessary.

4" seems to be the sweet spot.

These ports are PVC. It's a plus because PVC is so thin compared to a slot.

One thing i'm contemplating is whether i should install flared ports on the ends of the port on the INSIDE of the box. I don't have room to fit them on the outside.

That box will be way above the rear seat line. That will be OK, but if you ever decide to go to a comp, you will get stuck in a mod class.

Also, I had my best results (at the driver side headrest) with subs up and ports to the right. My TC likes any note from 48 to 52.

Well, I don't have a test box with port on a wall that's not on baffle.

Question-

U say sub up port to driver side sideways. How far away is the port from the wall?

I'm sure ur box is takin up bout the whole width and depth right?

nvm, went to the website and seen some pics.