Sign in to follow this  
dustin420

what to do

well it looks like it'll be awhile before i get a 12 for the grand am, some issues came up and i won't have money for awhile. so untill then i decided to make a box for the atlas to get the most out of it. right now its in a 2.5cf sealed box with 1 pound of pollyfill, it gets decently loud and low but i need more. heres my dilema though after i get a new sub im gonna make the atlas an HT sub so i need an enclosure that will play low well. so i was thinking either going with a 4cf "regular" ported box tuned to 30hz or have someone design me a t-line. my only worry is how will a t-line work in a trunk car and how much space would i have to give. max i would be able to fit around 5cf net in the trunk but i'd like to keep it around 4cf if possible. so my question is would a t-line fit and would it work better than a regular ported box?

15" quarter-wave pipes are big, if you're going for linearity. Unless you have a heavily folded/stuffed line.

Allan_18_ML_TL.jpg

That's a mass-loaded TL for an 18"...just to give you an idea...

Even then, a TL would not be my choice for output.

what would you recomend? im just looking for something that will play low very well but still have decent spl while being used in the car. also im willing to have a trade off since the best box for HT is not the best for a car. so im trying to get a box that will work well in both enviroments.

I don't know what "decent" SPL is to you...or "low" for that matter. You aren't going to touch the low end extension of a sealed enclosure very easily in a trunk with anything else...

so im trying to get a box that will work well in both enviroments.

IMO, that's really sealed, but obviously it's not doing something for you...

I don't know what "decent" SPL is to you...or "low" for that matter. You aren't going to touch the low end extension of a sealed enclosure very easily in a trunk with anything else...
so im trying to get a box that will work well in both enviroments.

IMO, that's really sealed, but obviously it's not doing something for you...

decent spl would be 135 area test tone while maitaining a 130-133 area on music. well i'd like something that will play 30hz and rattle the chit out the person, the sealed box i have now does not do that. i mean the sealed box has very flat response with no spikes but low end isn't cutting, but maybe its because i was used to 3 15's i had in the jeep but still i figured i could get more. so now what would be the best for a car to get low end? then after i upgrade i'll use the box in HT an if i don't like it i'll build another.

anyone else? i think i'll just make a 4cf ported box tuned to 30hz and see what happens. it has to improve low end over a sealed box.