Sign in to follow this  
ronrico418

Single 15 BTL box build Any HELP appreciated

I'm kind of limited in space but here are the maximum external dimensions

34"W

18"D

14.5"H

Sub is Fi BTL dual Mag. One out of Shawn Fleming's van from 2007 Dytna SBNs if anyone is familiar w/what he had.

I only know that tit is a dual mag and will definately play music.

Amp Sundown 3K

Not looking for SPL nor just the LOWZ

Sub up port back (I will do both in center although woofer mounted to one side makes more since to me) but hey what do I know I can't even measure CF

So I guess basically can anyone figure out how much Cf my box will be minimal bracing (just 3 2x2s) 2 13"L 1 32.5"L and dimensions on a port WxH=port but how deep to adjust the tuning? Would like 32hz for listening to anything from Jeezy to Hungarian Folklore

THANKS IN ADVANCE Joe

IS double baffle a must? I'd really rather add more bracing if that's the case.

34" x 18" x 14.5" = 5.1354 cubic ft EXTERNAL

32.5" x 16.5" x 13" = 4.0343 cubic ft INTERNAL Single Baffle

32.5" x 16.5" x 12.25" = 3.8015 cubic ft INTERNAL Double Baffle

3 2x2s (if they are really 2", most are 1.5") - 0.1053 cubic ft

Since you need all the space you can get, I would use All thread and L brackets for bracing to save on displacement space. I would also use circle ports to save on port displacement.

32hz tuning is gonna get you the LOWZ that you are not aiming for... The lower you tune, the longer you the port and the more space it takes up! You can tune at 35-37hz to get louder in the punchier bass while still retaining low end, just not Brutal low end.

Port length is going to be crazy, even at 35hz.

You are looking in the area of mid to high 20" lengths per port, either 6 3" or 3-4 4" circle ports flanged at both ends.

Now, i looked up on going dual vents and here is what i got -

the port displacement for using 3\4" wood would put the NET volume under the recommended volume. Now, you can use smaller port area but then you sacrifice potential high output and more turbulence.

All of the calculations were done assuming double baffle install.

If there is anything else you might be able to do to squeeze that little bit more, let me know.

If there is anything else you might be able to do to squeeze that little bit more, let me know.

Shizzzon,

Thanks for the quick and well calculated response. I was just about to start cutting

Let's do this Single baffle and thread, L brackets for bracing for more space. I really want to do a slotted or vent port. Dual would be good to go also. What about mounting inverted? Although I rather see that pretty Fi logo!

Please re-calculate with single baffle and now 2x2's (1.5s) subtracted. I can do a little fiberglass if that will save space.

I will take your recommendation of using circle ports but again if there is any way to use vents I'd rather see the latter in my ride.

Thanks again 3Z for your detailed response.

Well, here's the thing-

You have 4.03 cubes of internal space before any displacement... thats the main problem!

15" BTL has 0.21 cuft displacement leaving us at - 3.82 cubes internal

I'm not going to factor in any internal bracing because it will be SO small that it will not audibly change anything.

Ok, here is what i got-

I plotted this design using a 35hz tuning. If you make the port exactly as said, it may be 34.5hz, which isn't audibly noticeable.

Ok, as follows-

port dimensions-

13" high

3.25" wide

25.5" long (suppose to be 26.25" but since you use 3\4" wood, 0.75" of length will be used as the thickness of wood when air rolls out of port.) So, YOU are making 25.5" long, hehe

Ok, this is how it is to be made-

Remember - keep the port 3.25" wide internally at all times!

13" high port.

Run the port depth to the back of the box and stop 3.25" before you hit the back wall. Turn 90 degrees and run the port another 9" long(do not count length of the port after this turn as part of the width of the previous port!)

That's it.

You say sub up port back, try and put the port facing back exiting out of the passenger's side. This should make it louder for the driver. If you have it exit out of the driver's side, the passenger will probably hear the bass as being louder.

That should do it. The lowest possible recommendations but still able to fit.

Hope it sounds great.

This tuning is for 35hz. Anything lower, a lot more complicated.

Oh, and this port, this is just 1 port. I couldnt do dual vents so this post is good for 1 slot port.

Edited by shizzzon

Well, here's the thing-

You have 4.03 cubes of internal space before any displacement... thats the main problem!

15" BTL has 0.21 cuft displacement leaving us at - 3.82 cubes internal

I'm not going to factor in any internal bracing because it will be SO small that it will not audibly change anything.

Ok, here is what i got-

I plotted this design using a 35hz tuning. If you make the port exactly as said, it may be 34.5hz, which isn't audibly noticeable.

Ok, as follows-

port dimensions-

13" high

3.25" wide

25.5" long (suppose to be 26.25" but since you use 3\4" wood, 0.75" of length will be used as the thickness of wood when air rolls out of port.) So, YOU are making 25.5" long, hehe

Ok, this is how it is to be made-

Remember - keep the port 3.25" wide internally at all times!

13" high port.

Run the port depth to the back of the box and stop 3.25" before you hit the back wall. Turn 90 degrees and run the port another 9" long(do not count length of the port after this turn as part of the width of the previous port!)

That's it.

You say sub up port back, try and put the port facing back exiting out of the passenger's side. This should make it louder for the driver. If you have it exit out of the driver's side, the passenger will probably hear the bass as being louder.

That should do it. The lowest possible recommendations but still able to fit.

Hope it sounds great.

This tuning is for 35hz. Anything lower, a lot more complicated.

Oh, and this port, this is just 1 port. I couldnt do dual vents so this post is good for 1 slot port.

Thanks so much!!! Sweet detail and very simple easy to understand. Really helps me alot and I will post pic and let you know how it goes.

I've been waiting anxiously to start cuts and looking for every possible way to gain an extra inch

Without ripping up my carpet and padding there is just nothing else there.

I saw you were online on my topic and I just knew you we're typing what I have to do and I kept refreshing going and looking for an inch-refreshing etc etc.

I knew you were either typing alot or perhaps fell asleep. hehe hopefully not in your cornflakes! Thanks again and no matter how ugly my woodworking skills may get I will post w/ pics and a true listen too!!!

Thanks again HELP LIKE THIS CAN ONLY CONTINUE MAKING SSA THE BEST CA WEBSITE IN DA WORLD Now may I just cut straight. You have inspired me. Later Friend Joe

Your welcome, hehe

Actually part of the time i was signed in here.... i had to leave for a few minutes but i was still double checkin my math while i was away in my head. I don't know, i just like to deal with numbers.

I do a lot of video editing as well and gotta do lots of math when calculating how much information can fit on one disc for every project i do so calculating speaker boxes is just the same i guess...

Well again, good luck and let er wang.

We got hit...again with a lot of snow so it has...again for the 3rd time held me up on sound deadening.

Now some of my wheel well lights aren't working for some unknown reason so i gotta wait and diagnose them as well. I think i stretched the wires on them too tight because when i go to grab them, hehe, it's VERY tight wiring.

Well, i'm gonna go play on the Wii some so i can get all these numbers out of my head before i think it's for my setup, hehe.

We got hit...again with a lot of snow so it has...again for the 3rd time held me up on sound deadening.

Where are you ?????????

I'm guessing not here in FLA hehe

no, i'm in KY. I plan on taking a trip down to FL if my setup gets complete by no later than the beginning of May. I went down there last year to Cape Coral and stayed with my cousin for a week.

It's real hot here during the summer but you guys got it a lot warmer than we do year round.

I'm lucky i dont live in warm climate year round... if i did, I'd be building different setups all the time, hehe.

Isn't that the only 2 places there..........................?....................hehe

it's the only 2 places worth going, i've been to both and live in the best- Louisville.

Used to be Lexington was better but Louisville is gettin more and more popular.

it's the only 2 places worth going, i've been to both and live in the best- Louisville.

Used to be Lexington was better but Louisville is gettin more and more popular.

Great Basketball there! and Elvis Presly BLVD?

Shizzzon

The box came out absolutely perfect. I'm very impressed and know for the little bit of space we had to work with that I have as agood a box possible for this install. Everyone is amazed by the output of the BTL and that thing MOVES!!! Good thing Shawn F broke it in for me hehe!

I will add pics tonight

Thanks again for your assistance in this build YOU definately made it happen also it's nice to have a new friend Even if you are from Kentucky haha Later Joe FL

That's awesome man. Hey, if i get my install done by the end of April, i'm gonna be goin down to Cape Coral so if i meet my goal, i might get in touch with ya and stop by on the way down there.

Your welcomed to stay here if you like on your way down. Kelly and I would be happy to have you! Joe

Check your messages

Well I am impressed. The BTL actually has alot of SQ for a "SPL" style woofer. Yes it's settup for daily as opposed to the dedicated burp/fart option but I am really blown away by the output and clarity. I'm swinging towards my own build now being possibly 4 AA Havocs or 4 Q 18s. I could however for the first time in my life see being happy with only 2 subs. Right now I am running the dual mag 15 2 ohm from a Sundown SAZ 3000D which is capable of 1600 watts rms at this load probably getting 1200 rms. The dual mag BTL and the Sundown are performing beautifully. I went ttwo different stereo shops today and my buddies tattoo shop. The response I received from people knowledgable about Kicker,JL Audio,and Rockford ranged from 2 15s, 2 15s,2 15s, 4 10s, 4 12s, 4 15s. All were in disbelief when they learned of 1 15. Gave me a chance to tell them all who they can come too if needing a box for their own rides hehe and reppin the Sundown/Fi combo.

Box came out really solid perfectly tuned to 35hz with only 3.8ish CF after displacement. I was also able to add a double baffle which really made a difference. I can hear that a bigger box would easily help find dem Lows a little easier but they are still there. Again impressed everyone I came into contact with including myself. SUN/Fi is a definate winner. Enjoy pics still undecided on finish but I will post when done. Also vids to come LATER Joe

IMG_0855.jpg

IMG_0853.jpg

IMG_0850.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg

Definately the best box I ever built again all credit given to Shizzzon for helping w/ port quickly and clearly. I was in the zone when it came to my wood cuttin. Never had too do such little sanding. Put my soul in it and it feels good these products RULE Thanks also to eveyone here and a special thx to Scott and Jacob. Peace Bro's Joe Rod

Going to do the "axle grease trick". Anyone know bout that? good for 5 bonus points

Sign in to follow this