Sign in to follow this  
shizzzon

Testing n Tuning my Scion tC

Well, that meter is comin in handy...

I've got spreadsheets on my computer right now of multiple setups of what they do from 30hz-52hz in 1hz increments off of a 100w amp.

I chose low power so when i make a change i can see it's difference better with low power.

So far i've tested 8 different positions(i don't list all of them due to bad output and tested others with failure as well in output potential) using 1 10" sub ported at 42hz(just because it's only box i have at the moment before it gets warmer)

(This is daily driver only)

I've tested all positions AT THE HEADREST ONLY. So, all the Db ratings below are noticeably low. I've been to comp before in the past but man!, gettin loud at the headrest is ridiculous, hehe. This is really gonna be a challenge. I'm either gonna have to buy me another box or build me one so i can do further testing in a couple weeks from now but this is what i have found out so far-

Test is having sub and port on baffle.

Measured at headrest, all windows up and doors shut for following measurements-

Sub up, port up, passenger side, right behind back seat- 117.6Db 47.7 watts

Sub up, port up, driver side, right behind back seat - 117.7Db 47.7 watts

Sub forward, port forward, drivers side, right behind rear seat- 115.11Db 56.3 watts

Sub back, port back, 15" from hatch door- 118.8Db 47.7 watts

Sub back, port back, 11" from hatch door- 119.7Db 47.7 watts

Sub forward, port forward, passenger side, right behind rear seat- 118.8Db 47.7 watts

Measured at headrest, windows rolled down for maximum reading(sunroof does NOT help being open at any amount)

Sub forward, port forward, passenger side, right behind rear seat- 118.6Db 47.7 watts.

Note- with having windows down with this setup, the entire test from 30-52hz was within 116.2-119.1Db varying wattage of 5.8 watts - 95.8 watts. This was the most consistent scoring output level.

Sub back, port back, 11" from hatch door- 122.7Db 47.7 watts

The next box i will be using to test will have port on a different wall.

Conclusion-

Best results are obtained by-

firing back(driver's side), firing forward(subs must me on far left and\or right side with port in middle or there is a significant drop in output), firing up(driver's side)

The test box spans to almost full width of car when firing back and forward. When i build test box, i will install wall extenders to see if taking up more volume in the car under certain tests yields higher readings at headrest or not.

Again, all tests are at Driver's side Headrest ONLY. The scores you see here will more than likely be higher when measured for competition purposes on dash or kick panel.

More updates to come in a couple weeks.

Edited by shizzzon

All windows up doors shut-

Sealed, passenger side firing forward right behind back seat-

111.2Db 56.3 watts

Sealed, passenger side firing up right behind back seat-

114.7Db 74.9 watts

Sealed, passenger side firing up right behind back seat, windows rolled down to maximize output-

116.3Db 56.3 watts

The only test left is to build my last test box but cant until weather gets warmer.

Tip-

At 32hz, ALL tests in different position(well over 10) except for 2 did the Db level drop 0.8-1.0Db depending on power output then picked back up at 34hz and on both ported and sealed.

So, if you want dominating ultra low bass, try and get your box to peak at this area to help yourself out.

Ok FINALLY, hehe.

I got my box testing done.

There is a LOT of information i have to type into Word, might take the rest of the day, don't know yet but when it's all done, i will compress all documents into a rar file and post the link to where you can download all the information i obtained.

And on a side note real quick, this is a hatchback and sub up port back was NOT the loudest, but close.

This is an excellent thread. I had the same results with the eclipse and it is a slightly larger hatch. 34 and 35hz were two peaks in my vehicle as well when my port area was lower.

Ok, everything has been typed into word.

to be convenient for those viewing this thread, i will take snapshots of all the documents so if you do not have Word, you will still be able to clearly see what is in the docs, :)

This will be posted tomorrow afternoon.

Here are the results, hope these help in your decisions as they have helped me.

scionpg1.JPG

scionpg2.JPG

scionpg3.JPG

scionpg4.JPG

scionpg5.JPG

scionpg6.JPG

scionpg7.JPG

sciontipspg1.JPG

sciontipspg2.JPG