hayes55987

Alpine 9887 vs. PioneervP9800BT

I did a few searches and found some similiar topics, but I couldn't find any that pertained to my situation.

Currently, I have a modern alpine model, just a cheaper one. The 9881 I believe. I like the set-up of it a lot and use its iPod control almost exclusively over CD's. I am looking to upgrade though for some more options for tuning.

These are the two big ones that seem to be somewhat similiar, but have a few different options. I will definetely need the head unit to have good iPod control. I have a phone that can utilize the bluetooth of the pioneer as well.

What would you guys reccomend? if i chose the 9887, i would have access to an imprint mic i would be able to use. my set-up I would be using it with would be the component set of Adire Koda's running off of 75 watts off my amp. It is a 4 channel amp but I am only utilizing 2 of the channels currently.

let me know your thoughts or any other head units in this range of features/price!

You should already know my answer, but I'll say it anyways.

I like the 9887 personally and I have been told that the Imprint sound processing works great for soundstaging/imaging.

They Both have some type of EQ- The Alpine has the choice of 7 band Graphic or 5 Band Parametric, however the Pioneer has a 16 Band Graphic

They both have time alignment, iPod Interface, Bluetooth capability, 24 bit DACs.

Here are the differences that i noticed. The Alpine has the capability to run 3 way active. The Pioneer has active filters but only two way to split the sub to the highpass. The Alpine appears to be more flexible as active x-overs go. I could have misunderstood what i read. But the Pioneer also has something similar to the Imprint sound processing(didn't know that before i started my research) and the mic for that is included with the Pioneer. The Pioneer also has 5V preout compared to the 4V that Alpine has. The Pioneer also has a fancy color display but that means nothing to me.

Still I would say the Alpine because of my previous experience with their products. And the Alpine seems to be a bit cheaper. It always comes down to the money at the end of the day.

Imprint is awesome. I think it's different than Pioneer as it measures delay by frequency, not distance. I may be wrong this.

I own the 980BT and love the bluetooth. Calls are clear, and I like talking hands free. With the Apline, you'll have to add a box. The ipod menu is great, and better than Apline's in my opinion. I don't like the simple text Apline's screen shows. I think the Pioneer shows more songs on the display than Alpine, and this is big for me because I use the Ipod every time I'm in the car.

Well the store I work at sells both Pioneer and Alpine headunits. I've sold alot of the 980BTs and the older 780s which also had color screen. I've only sold one or two 880prs but i've seen quite a few of them. Noone around here really uses the alpines stuff. That said today i bought a CDA-9887. I had an AVIC-D3. And my favorite feature was the BT.

I sold my D3 before it became problematic. Also this is the reason why i didn't buy an 800prs. Reason being almost all of the Pioneer units that i've sold with the RCA plug in the back (all of the RCAs are on a molex plug that hangs off the deck) have had ground noise issuses developed over time. Not like a little engine noise. ALOT. The AVIC-D3 also uses this RCA plug setup. And recently i've seen a few pioneers that have the standard RCA built into the unit that have been getting engine noise grounding problems.

Needless to say I'm not going to be buying anymore Pioneer headunits until this problem is fixed. And when compaired the CDA-9887 is much cheaper than either the 800PRS or the 980BT