Sign in to follow this  

whats up yall. in my system i have us amps 400, esx q404, two ssd12's, a duralast battery upfront and an optima red top in back. for fuse i only have the one in between the two batteries and it is 80a. thats the only one the local car shop had left at the time of install. my question is should i go ahead and order a bigger fuse? does it really matter? and should i have another fuse somewhere in my setup? the esx is internally fused and the us amps has very good internal protection. anybody with thoughts on this?

Fuse anytime the wire has a chance of coming in contact with grounded metal through wear...for example, if you have a connection through the firewall that's grommeted or passes through a rubber boot, you still need to fuse it as there's a potential there of the power wire shorting out on the chassis. I'd also put a fuse anytime you drop in wire gauge - so used a fused distribution block at the amps.

As for the fuse sizing, you want it under the wire's rated ampacity, that is the amount of current it can handle for that certain length and gauge. Do a Google search for this.