toolskizm

weird problem just happened, need some advice

My system was finally working right all together. I was on my way to my apartment (3 hr drive), so I had turned the bass really low so it wouldn't knock my radar detector off the glass. I was just driving along and heard a loud bass hit all of a sudden. It was really weird, kuz the bass was pretty much to where I couldn't even hear it and I guess I didn't notice kuz i had turned it down alot. So the bass hit really hard, then stopped. It did this about 2-3 times, just really odd sounds and extremely loud...like not going with the music that was playing and far far louder than I had the bass turned up.

Anyway, I got home to check it out. I can turn the subwoofers OFF on the headunit and STILL get some sort of signal. The subs will move rrrrreally slow on their own, no music or anything. I can even unhook the RCA's and the subs will STILL move. The only way to make them stop is to unhook the power from the amp. I had even tried hooking up my pc to the amp, but I get the same problem. I can also have NO music playing and even the RCA's unhooked (only speaker wire, ground, power, and remote) and the subs will make a really ugly sweeping noise. They're just doing this on their own and like bottoming out. I have NO clue, wut this is and any input would be really appreciated. I'm to the point, if it's a big deal...I'm just goin to sell everything. My car just doesnt like this system for some reason lol.

I looked at all the fuses I could possibly. Only one I didnt get to check well is the one on the RF. I don't know if this would be what happens though...I've never had a fuse blow on a system, so I wasn't going to go through much trouble to see if these aren't the symptoms of a blown fuse.

2 Fi Q 12

RF T20001BD

2 Focal Utopia 6.5"

2 Focal Polyglass 6.5"

JL 450/4

Alpine IVA-W200

if you need other info, just lemme know.

sounds like the amp bit the dust

sounds like the amp bit the dust

haha sweeeet, that's the only thing I was coming up with too. It was a refurb...but that's lame if it's the case.

A long time ago, I had something like that happen too. I redid the grounding point and it went away. I have no idea why, or if it'll work in your case.

Nice isolation techniques, by the way... :neil:

i'd really check your ground and even change it's location.

Sounds like either a very bad ground or ground loop feeding through.

I actually had the ground sort of redone when I took it to the shop not too long ago. I have an optima in the rear...it's only about 1-2 feet from the amps. The RF is grounded to a sanded spot about 1 ft away where the JL and the Optima is also grounded. But yeah, I can try that.

One thing I left out was the RF amps (this is the second one I have, even though there was nothing wrong with the first..long story) is when I turn the car on, there's a very audible pop that comes from the subs. It's always done this for some reason. I'm not sure the cause of this, and it's never happened before in any other setup I've had.

MOVE your amps grounding location and no, don't ground directly to battery or you would have changed nothing.