Sign in to follow this  
basshead08

Fiberglass enclosures

Hey I'm doin a build for a guy. He wants a fiberglass console. I am trying to see what materials I am going to need. (mdf, resin, and fleece.) Is that all? Also when I build the box do I just bulid the skeleton, stretch the fleece over it, and paint on the resin? I've bbuilt several boxes but never done much fiberglass so all info is appreciated.

Hey I'm doin a build for a guy. He wants a fiberglass console. I am trying to see what materials I am going to need. (mdf, resin, and fleece.) Is that all? Also when I build the box do I just bulid the skeleton, stretch the fleece over it, and paint on the resin? I've bbuilt several boxes but never done much fiberglass so all info is appreciated.

I try to use as much MDF as possible since it will take a bit of work to get fiberglass as strong.

Then stretch the cloth over the 'skeleton' as tight as possible so there's no sag or anything.

Paint on the resin- but don't bother wasting it where it will be cut out (sub holes, monitor locations, etc.)

If possible I like to layer the fiberglass mat or cloth inside the enclosure so there's less bondo/work to get it smooth, but make sure you put several layers either way. When you're sure it's strong enough I put another layer of resin around the entire inside of the enclosure just to seal everything good.

Then you just have to bondo (making sure you get it really smooth so you have as little sanding as possible to do).

The trickiest part for me has always been getting the mix just right- but I found out if you buy the type of hardener that comes in a 1gal jug instead of using the tube that comes with it the resin sets much much quicker. Just talking from the bit of experience I have, hope it helps.