Sign in to follow this  
tahoeon24

ssa icon 12 vs kicker L7 12

I have been looking at the kicker L7's but have now seen the icons, wondering how the two would compare in a ported box, using 2 woofers

What are your goals? One driver is output first in design, the other is SQ first in design. The L7 has a cone advantage on the Icon.

icon all the way bro..ive heard kicker setups and they all sound crap..nothing but loud crappy bass..if thats what people want i feel bad for them..because they havent heard what really clean bass sounds like..i have no problem saying the icon will chit on the L7 in sound quality and in a ported box still be LOUD..so it depends on what your plans are..just for competiting in spl..go for the L7..not to say the icon cant compete..i believe 2 15's in a ported box hit 147 it was posted here in the ssa section..but if you want to be loud and sound great while doing it then my friend we have the ICON..plus imagine the look on peoples face when you make there system look like crap and ask you to open the trunk expecting to see alpine,pioneer,kicker,kenwood and they see that cone that says SSA..and first thing that say is wtf is a ssa..and you just smile..close the trunk and drive away..lol sorry had to make it dramatic in the end..but you know what i mean..

l7=loud

icon=loud and very clean good sounding bass

Well considering the L7 likes to be in a big ported box around 3.25cuft and the Icon 15" fits in about the same box I'd compare the two of those. Then I think the Icon will win in ALL categories.

First off thanks for the insight. So from what you guys are saying the ICON is the obvious choice for sound quality and will still get loud, but i guess i am just hung up on the spl side of things. I don't compete or anything i just want some serious bass. Anyway, thanks again guys

well so far no reports of damage or anything..from what ive read and see this thing is built to last..also another thing i wanted to say was you mentioned you were hung up on spl side of things..the thing with this sub is it can give you that in a ported box...while sounding very good..like i said 2 15's in a ported box scored a 147..sure kickers can do..but what are the chances it will sound good like the icon? not much...so you get the spl side while still sounding great..here are some links i think you should look at and im sure your decision will be much easier :)

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...showtopic=12983

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...?showtopic=9039

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...showtopic=14467

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...showtopic=11943

plus there are alot of review threads that you can read..

I don't know much about getting the best of both worlds in the same install, I'd be very hesitant to say that, but the Icon definitely has the potential to either give reference level SQ or competition SPL depending on the enclosure in which it's placed.

First off thanks for the insight. So from what you guys are saying the ICON is the obvious choice for sound quality and will still get loud, but i guess i am just hung up on the spl side of things. I don't compete or anything i just want some serious bass. Anyway, thanks again guys

Thats how I was I was skeptical at first getting the icon it being designed as a SQ driver and I was more into getting spl. But Mark convinced me enough that they can get loud. The whole time I am thinkin " Man I hope they will get loud enough" or " Man I should have just saved up a couple 100 more and got some FI Bl's" But lemme tell ya I was impressed. The icons was only the second subs I have ever owned and before that I just had 1 type r 10". My ears were virgin to bass. First day I got my icons hooked up I could barly breathe in my car. I am still only giving 750 each and its SUPER loud I cant imagine getting any louder.

Ok, you guys have convinced me for sure, and just a little background. Right now i have 2 mtx 7500 12's in a spec ported box from mtx. Now im no expert but power handling alone tells me the ICONS should be much louder, or at least i hope so, assuming they have an accurate power rating. Thanks again, if it wasn't for this forum i would end up with something i want to replace again.

Cant go wrong with the ICONS! Mark has been there whenever I needed him awsome company and awsome subs! They will get loud

Ok, you guys have convinced me for sure, and just a little background. Right now i have 2 mtx 7500 12's in a spec ported box from mtx. Now im no expert but power handling alone tells me the ICONS should be much louder, or at least i hope so, assuming they have an accurate power rating. Thanks again, if it wasn't for this forum i would end up with something i want to replace again.

great choice man..you will not regret it.. fing05.gif

I have an addition question regarding the ICONS.... how is the durability on those speakers?

I will put it this way. Only one has ever failed, and that driver was sent 3200 clipped watts. Meaning more then 3x the rms ratting. ;)

I don't know much about getting the best of both worlds in the same install, I'd be very hesitant to say that, but the Icon definitely has the potential to either give reference level SQ or competition SPL depending on the enclosure in which it's placed.

Agreed, box dependent, but I would say that a pair of 15" Icons in a ported box has the potential to be louder the the L7 12's and most definitely will sound better. :)

:doit: