Sign in to follow this  
denalilvr

a question about power output

in the sticky where they did a test this is what was read

Power supply voltage was 16.5 volts at rest dropping to around 14.5 volts. So consider this a 14.5 volt output rating.

Our clamp meter ran out of steam at 400 amps so we measured efficiency at lower levels:

3294 watts @ 84% efficiency (252 amps draw)

3938 watts @ 81% efficiency (316 amps draw)

4424 watts @ 74% efficiency (392 amps draw)

here is my question and i want to get a better understanding of this so bear with me for a minute..lol

3294 watts with 252 amps draw..now lets say your running 2 of the 3k watt models which would be 504 amps draw? and if your alt is only a 300 amp alt how does that work? im sure i have something wrong but this is the stuff that keeps me up at night..lol

do you have a more direct question that i can help you with? lol

cause the way i see this question... is thats why you have more batterys.... it takes the power from there not your alt...

your gonna run two 3ks'? what size bls had how many?

do you have a more direct question that i can help you with? lol

cause the way i see this question... is thats why you have more batterys.... it takes the power from there not your alt...

your gonna run two 3ks'? what size bls had how many?

no this question has nothing to do with subs..lol..im just trying to understand those numbers..

in the sticky where they did a test this is what was read

Power supply voltage was 16.5 volts at rest dropping to around 14.5 volts. So consider this a 14.5 volt output rating.

Our clamp meter ran out of steam at 400 amps so we measured efficiency at lower levels:

3294 watts @ 84% efficiency (252 amps draw)

3938 watts @ 81% efficiency (316 amps draw)

4424 watts @ 74% efficiency (392 amps draw)

here is my question and i want to get a better understanding of this so bear with me for a minute..lol

3294 watts with 252 amps draw..now lets say your running 2 of the 3k watt models which would be 504 amps draw? and if your alt is only a 300 amp alt how does that work? im sure i have something wrong but this is the stuff that keeps me up at night..lol

No you did not do any thing wrong. Now someone chime in if I am wrong. According to your numbers you have (252am*14.5v)=3652 watts going into your amp. Your amp is now producing 3294 watts of AC out put. So that part is okay. Now the amps run on the batteries not the alternator. The alternator is like a generator to charge the batteries when a heavy power load is put on them. So Bigjon is right that the batteries is what you should consider. Now you need that much power in your alternator to charge your car systems, like your lights, engine so on and so on. With my crx, my car power requirements are not that demanding, so a 120 amp alternator may work as well as a 200amp alternator in jeep cherokee or a bigger vehicle. For example, my friend had a stock alternator and one NSBg3100 on a 7k system. His alternator died first because it was trying to charge the car systems while maintaining the battery that charge the car radio system. The alternator died 6 months after the installation of his system. Boy, I am still trying to get my head around him not upgrading when I told him!! But, he still my boy!!!! :D

Edited by Team Man-Up (Ray)

That means you will drop below alternator voltage to battery voltage rather quickly - then you are relying on your battery bank to keep you above 12 volts. For two 3000s running full tilt you will run out of juice pretty fast - of course, most music won't continuously draw that level of current so with a 300 amp and a very solid bank you will do okay most of the time.

thanx guys..i feel so stupid didnt even think of the batteries that im spending $1k on..lol

Sign in to follow this