krisw7

2 X 18" btl's vs. 2 X 12" W7's

Alright I would like to ask all of you by experience what do you think about the comparison? I have 2 12w7's running off a 1000/1 soon to buy another 1000/1. What do you think, I know that the btl subs have high spl but chit on sq. Say that both systems have 2000 watts of clean power running to them which one would have a more db's.

you need more power then 1000 watts for an 18 inch btl..... you can power i 15 bl or a q with a 1000 watts but not a 18 inch btl... imo you have been starving those W7s.....

Yeah, I'm not sure what you are trying to do, but BTLs are rated at 2500 RMS for a reason. Putting 1000 to a BTL would be wasting the subs capabilities. If you were to compare them to a Fi sub it would have to be the Q and I think the W7s would be better than the Q's especially considering you already have them.

Say that both systems have 2000 watts of clean power running to them which one would have a more db's.

As said above, 2000 watts would work for 1 18" BTL but two of them are going to need more power.

Edited by Philanthro

Say that both systems have 2000 watts of clean power running to them which one would have a more db's.

As said above, 2000 watts would work for 1 18" BTL but two of them are going to need more power.

Actually he said he currently has 1000 watts for 2 12w7's. He's planning on buying another jl1000.1.

He would have 2000 watts total, divided by two subs= 1000 watts per sub.

Yeah, I think the guy was saying that if he were to get the other 1000/1 he cold run 1 BTL.

Actually he said he currently has 1000 watts for 2 12w7's. He's planning on buying another jl1000.1.

He would have 2000 watts total, divided by two subs= 1000 watts per sub.

thats right I just wanted a little info on the btl's now I know that each 18" btl is 2500 watts rms.

Alright I would like to ask all of you by experience what do you think about the comparison? I have 2 12w7's running off a 1000/1 soon to buy another 1000/1. What do you think, I know that the btl subs have high spl but chit on sq. Say that both systems have 2000 watts of clean power running to them which one would have a more db's.

okay revised question take one 18" btl w/ 2000 watts going into it and take 2 X 12w7's and run 2000 total watts ( 1000 watts into each) which is going to hit harder I already know that the sq would be better from the jl's.

Here it is I am coming clean, I am in a pissing contest with this guy who has 2 x 18" btl's and I have the 2 12w7's, I know that the btl's will handle alot more watts. this is also on youtube.

Edited by krisw7

okay revised question take one 18" btl w/ 2000 watts going into it and take 2 X 12w7's and run 2000 total watts ( 1000 watts into each) which is going to hit harder I already know that the sq would be better from the jl's.

yea i think he wants to know what one would put out more db's 1 btl or 2 w7s

Man you guys kill me over and over. 2000 watts is the rating of a BTL, but it does not have to have that much to sound good. I am not saying everyone needs a BTL, but over and over people post "don't buy a BTL without having at least 2-3k watts". They sound great with 1000+ watts. I personally love they way they sound for an extreme daily driver.

If the BTL's are installed correctly, there is a 99% chance (2) 18" BTL's on 1000 watts each will be louder than (1) 18" BTL on 2000 watts, and they are going to kill the 12W7's in SPL.

Brian

Man you guys kill me over and over. 2000 watts is the rating of a BTL, but it does not have to have that much to sound good. I am not saying everyone needs a BTL, but over and over people post "don't buy a BTL without having at least 2-3k watts". They sound great with 1000+ watts. I personally love they way they sound for an extreme daily driver.

If the BTL's are installed correctly, there is a 99% chance (2) 18" BTL's on 1000 watts each will be louder than (1) 18" BTL on 2000 watts, and they are going to kill the 12W7's in SPL.

Brian

yea i would have to say i second that opinion btl for spl all day long :)

Brian

The first point is correct.

The point about the w7's is null and void. You don't know the boxes. You don't know the xmax they are using etc... There are just too many factors to give a definitive answer based on paper #'s.

Brian

lol ok and how may watts to have have running to each of your btls?

I think I said "if they are installed correctly". For a standard designed box in a daily driver application, I do not see a pair of 12W7's on 2000 watts ever being louder than a pair of 18" BTL's on 2000 watts. If they are, the BTL's are not in the correctly designed box. With that much power, the maximum excursion of the drivers is not going to be a big factor (both have more than enough excursion), but the cone area of the BTL's is a big advantage.

When I first got them I ran all (4) on a single 40.1 (I only had one), so that was around 1000 watts each. Sounded awesome.

Yes, right now I run around 16,000 on them, but I can guarantee you that 75% of the time they are only getting around 800-1000 each and they are more than loud enough and sound awesome.

Brian

I think I said "if they are installed correctly". For a standard designed box in a daily driver application, I do not see a pair of 12W7's on 2000 watts ever being louder than a pair of 18" BTL's on 2000 watts. If they are, the BTL's are not in the correctly designed box. With that much power, the maximum excursion of the drivers is not going to be a big factor (both have more than enough excursion), but the cone area of the BTL's is a big advantage.

When I first got them I ran all (4) on a single 40.1 (I only had one), so that was around 1000 watts each. Sounded awesome.

Yes, right now I run around 16,000 on them, but I can guarantee you that 75% of the time they are only getting around 800-1000 each and they are more than loud enough and sound awesome.

Brian

you know what im saying.....

I could correctly install a btl with 4000 watts rms and have it have better sq than a jl audio w7 in jl's recommended enlcosure. But my btl won't be louder than the w7.

Someone on this forum is running a BTL with a kW or so, with excellent results at home ;)

Hoffman's Iron Law is an amazing thing :)

i would still go with the btl over a JL tho much better imo :) the w7 is a nice speaker but not up to par with a btl just my 2 cent

i would still go with the btl over a JL tho much better imo :) the w7 is a nice speaker but not up to par with a btl just my 2 cent

The w7 is a very good speaker. It's just overpriced and over-hyped. The BTL is a great speaker in its own respect as well. What i'm getting at is that in an ideal situation the BTL will get louder with enough power. The w7 will get plenty loud and if we were talking about these two speakers (of the same size of course) and with all available skills in perfectly efficient enclosure showing the maximum potential of the respective drivers we are probably only looking at a minute difference in spl. (once again if they were the same size so 2 12 inch btl's vs. 2 12" jl audio w7's) seeing the maximum amount of power before massive thermal compression we are probably looking at a 1 dB difference. And this is where the x-max would come into play

Now since we are talking about 2 18" btls versus 2 12" w7's the 18" btls will be louder.

The w7 is a very good speaker. It's just overpriced and over-hyped. The BTL is a great speaker in its own respect as well. What i'm getting at is that in an ideal situation the BTL will get louder with enough power. The w7 will get plenty loud and if we were talking about these two speakers (of the same size of course) and with all available skills in perfectly efficient enclosure showing the maximum potential of the respective drivers we are probably only looking at a minute difference in spl. (once again if they were the same size so 2 12 inch btl's vs. 2 12" jl audio w7's) seeing the maximum amount of power before massive thermal compression we are probably looking at a 1 dB difference. And this is where the x-max would come into play

Now since we are talking about 2 18" btls versus 2 12" w7's the 18" btls will be louder.

thanks alot guys I got alot of insight through all of your replys. krisw7

Now we are talking the same language. . . .