Sign in to follow this  
pervitizm

Box options for a pair of lvl4 18's

Okay so I took some measurements today just to see how much space I have to work with. The idea is to keep my third row seats. That was the main reason why I brought a suburban instead of a tahoe. So far this is what I've came up with. *Note all measurements are external*

Height: 23 3/8 inches or 28 1/2 inches if I go up to top of headrest

Width: 49 inches

Depth: 28 3/4 inches

I went to 12volt.com to use their volume calculator and it came out to roughly 15 cft of internal volume space.

image00oh7.jpg

I want to go ported with the 18's and I want to go both subs and ports facing up as apposed to subs up and ports to the rear. You guys think this is do-able with the measurements I've posted?

box is sub up ports back built out of either 1.5" material or 2x 3/4" material. Port is single 3/4" material. I suggest doing the baffle 2x3/4" and countersinking the woofers.

dc-lvl418s.jpg

external

49w X 23t X 24d

internal

46w X 20t X 21d

Port

20t X 5w X 14d

45s

3" wide 45s in 6 verticle corners

Volume

11.18 cf - 0.40cf (woofers) - 0.31cf (45s) - 1.05 cf (port)

9.42 cf final Tuned to 34hz....4.21 cf per woofer

CUTS LIST

TOP AND BOTTOM (4) 49 X 24

SIDES (4) 21 X 20

FRONT (2) 49 X 20

BACK (4) 22 X 20

PORT (2) 20 X 14

45s (6) 20 X 3 dual 45 degree edges

box is sub up ports back built out of either 1.5" material or 2x 3/4" material. Port is single 3/4" material. I suggest doing the baffle 2x3/4" and countersinking the woofers.

dc-lvl418s.jpg

external

49w X 23t X 24d

internal

46w X 20t X 21d

Port

20t X 5w X 14d

45s

3" wide 45s in 6 verticle corners

Volume

11.18 cf - 0.40cf (woofers) - 0.31cf (45s) - 1.05 cf (port)

9.42 cf final Tuned to 34hz....4.21 cf per woofer

CUTS LIST

TOP AND BOTTOM (4) 49 X 24

SIDES (4) 21 X 20

FRONT (2) 49 X 20

BACK (4) 22 X 20

PORT (2) 20 X 14

45s (6) 20 X 3 dual 45 degree edges

Thank you for the idea. This will at least give me a starting point as to where I need to go. The reason why I wanted to go sub/port up was because I don't think I have enought space between the vent an my rear hatch door. At most if I were to use that box design I would have about 4 inches. I was told that I should have at least 6 -10 inches of space between the vent and the neares wall (or flat vertical surface) the vent faces.

if i'm thinkin right...you dont wanna be closer than the shortest measurement of the port to the hatch. in that case would be 5". if you did...it'd just tune the box lower. and with that box...i believe you could just turn the port facing upwards and you'd have the sub up/port up the way you wanted and wont have to change dimensions of the port

How about this, using the design above I want to have the port firing from the top. I want the port to be the lenght(width) of the box. How would I re-calculate that so that the tuning would stay right around that 30 -35hz range? In other words when it comes to the measurement of the port it would be around this:

width:46 x depth:5 x height??

I guess the key measurements for this is width because I want to try and keep the port opening as wide as the box, if that makes any sense.

Okay so I have to admit this was my first time using Google's SketchUp software and I'm hooked. By far way easy to do a drawing with rather than AutoCad. Anyway this is what I've come up with using the measurement that Wagonized gave me. I made an adjustment with the port though. I brought the port up to the top, extended it's width by 4 inches to 24inches and decreased the height to 10 inches. Let me know what you think?

dcbox1fl3.jpg

dcbox2ae2.jpg

Edited by pervitizm

Ok here we go. This is my third redention of this box. This time I did dual ports on the side of the box. I had to adjust the depth just a bit from 24 to 25.5 inches. Let me know what you guys think. I've got Monday off and I want to get my build on :D

dcbox4zx3.jpg

dcbox5mo5.jpg

So my new numbers are 24H x 49W x 25.5D. Top and bottom are double 3/4 MDF while the front, back and sides are single 3/4 MDF.

The ports are 2.5W x24D x 10H.