Sign in to follow this  
JonnieBlaze

8 inch woofer questions

I didnt want to clutter up the thread that was talking about the upcoming E8 woofer but I had some questions about it in relation to other sized woofers. I can not find anyplace in my town that sells or even has 8 inch woofers on display so I can hear. I have no idea what kind of bass come from the 8 inch woofers. All I'm familar with is the bass that comes from my two 12 inch Cerwin Vegas in a sealed enclosure. I'm looking for something punchier (the bass from the 12s seems muddy) but I still want it to get as loud at the lower frequencies as my 12s do (so I'm looking at 4 of these E8s). I just need to know if the 8s will deliver this punchier bass....i'm assuming they do but again I've never heard any 8 inch woofer...

Punchier has nothing to do with size and everything to do with the enclosure, although depending on which CV's you have they may never give you what you want.

I thought the punchy bass was just a higher frequency sound therefore an 8 inch woofer would replicate that higher frequency better than a 12. But I take it that's incorrect?

So with these new 8 inch woofers being created here, what kind of box would produce the sound i'm looking for? I've only ever had sealed enclosures (because I assumed they gave the tightest feeling bass). I thought ported box just gave the loud boomy bass so I never wanted them. I thought bandpass boxes were designed for speakers that you were under-powering. And I know nothing about infinite baffle.

All I know is what I'm looking for...but I'm not sure how to get it.

These 8s sealed would be very "punchy" IMO. I think you are looking for a lower Qtc alignment since the muddy sound you describe may be a peak in the 50s from a box that is too small. Fortunately a "big" box for the 8s is still incredibly small.

A lower Qtc alignment eh? How low of a Qtc is needed to achieve this sound?

Sealed Box:

0.280 ft^3 w/ F3 of 50 Hz (Qtc = 0.707)

If I made the box slightly larger than this, it would yield a lower Qtc?

Yep - 0.35 ft^3 would give you a 0.671 Qtc.

Stuff some poly in there for even lower.

F3 is where the sound drops by 3 db right?

so with the 0.280 ft^3 box, anything less than 50 Hz is going to be pretty quiet (unless you have many drivers).

what would the F3 be of the .35 ft^3 box?

Edited by JonnieBlaze

F3 is where the sound drops by 3 db right?

so with the 0.280 ft^3 box, anything less than 50 Hz is going to be pretty quiet (unless you have many drivers).

what would the F3 be of the .35 ft^3 box?

Not in a car - the vehicle transfer function will make the driver pretty well flat to ~20 Hz with a 50 Hz F3 out of car.

The F3 is very similar in the larger box, but it extends the very low-end slightly and increases efficiency.

Sign in to follow this