Sign in to follow this  
coobies5

Job in Houston, TX

I'm going to be graduating in a matter of 2 weeks or so, and 4 days after graduation I'll be turning 18. If I want to pursue my dream of getting a supra, I need to start saving more and get rid of this truck I have. So if anybody knows of anyone looking for a worker let me know please and thank you! However, fast food, retail, and grocery stores will not work for me. Some skills I have however are html, web design, graphic designs, pc repair and maintenance. I live in Crosby, so anything near northeast Houston is that much better.

Thanks!

Are you planning on going to school in the fall? It might be hard to find a temporary summer job this late in the year. But if you aren't going to school then I would suggest joining a trade, like electrical or pipefitting. You start off making around $15/hour and get raises every four months until you graduate from your apprenticeship (which is 4 years I think) and by then you are making nearly $40/hour. But If I were you I would go to school and put those computer skills to use so you can make the big bucks without breaking your back.

I'd like to and thats the thing, I don't mind doing manual labor, but I don't mind sitting in front of a computer all day. Have any suggestions to companies I could look into or would I have to find local business to go through?

Im up by Chicago so I know the local unions around here. You can just google Houston pipefitting union or electrical union and they will give you a local number (for example Houston electrical local 134). Go to their website and find out when the sign-ups are for each one, it may not be until for a while though. Then you have to take a math related test, drug test, and do an interview. I know around here this is a long process because there are a lot of people signing up for the trades and they can't take everybody. This is more of a long term solution than a temporary one becuase it may take over a year to actually get into your apprenticeship. As for temporary jobs until you get into a trade, go by local car dealerships to see if they need any porters. They don't get paid very well but it's a decent job, I did it throughout highschool and it wasn't bad at all.