Sign in to follow this  
solobarric

2000 GMC Safari Build

I decided to post some pics of my build. This build is gonna take some time, still waiting on some parts and Uncle Sam's good old tax rebate check!!! Basically I plan on running 2 Fi 18's off of 2 Alpine PDX 1000.1's I am leaning twords the Q series but i havent made up my mind. I want something that is going to stand up to everyday driving and will sound good with all kinds of music. All this great equipment is going to be installed into a 2000 GMC Safari van. Here is a couple of pics of it.

vansidepic1.jpgproject00gmc.jpg

Well I Finally got a chance to tear the interior out of this thing today, now I am just wating on my order of FatMat to come in and the install will officialy be underway. Here is a couple of pics of the striped interior.

rearint1.jpg

rearint2.jpg

rearint3.jpg

Thanks man, Hopefully things turn out as good as I hope! Just ordered up a set of mid bass drivers for the van, just need 2 more sets of speakers to complete the highs and mibbass for the project. I curently have a older set of kicker resolution series 6.5 componets i will run up front most likley with the midbass drivers i just ordered they are a set of Powerbass 4xl series 6.5 midbass drivers now i just need to put something together for the rear.

Well, I got home from work today and to my surprise the UPS guy had already been there. I finally got the couple of pieces I've been waiting on today, nothing major just some pieces to the wiring. Now hopefully I can finally get the wireing installed this weekend. Here is a rundown of what I got, 40 ft of 0AWG power wire(for both power and ground) 3 sets of JL Audio 25ft RCA's, Xstatic series 400 Batcap, 100ft of MonsterXPHP-CI twisted ultra high performance speaker wire, 50 ft. wire loom and 2-0Awg to 4Awg dist. blocks. I still got to get the powermaster bat. for up front. Here is a pic of what I got in.

ampinstallkit.jpg

Well I got the amp kit wired in over this past weekend and today i got in the order of fatmat, 100sq feet of it. Here is a pic of it for those of you who have never used it before, its about the same as dynamat but I think it sticks better.

FatMat.jpg

I got to lay some FatMat tonight here is some pics of what I got done.

reardoorfatted2.jpg

rearhatchfatted.jpg

reatdoorfatted.jpg

rearfloorfatted1.jpg

I still gotta do some trimmin in on the rear doors and rear window, but for the most part they are done, started on the interior floor

I think I underestamated the time its going to take to lay 100 to 150 sq. feet of this stuff!!!

It takes time, but I enjoy the results.

This just is not going to turn out good; you better just ship that van to me!!! After you get it all the fat mat in of course. . .

Just kidding. Looks awesome. That van looks new.

Good luck with the build!

ya, its in good shape.90,000 miles. mint inside with a couple of small dings on the exterior. should have the Fatmat done by this weekend, hopefully!!!! will post more pics when it is complete.

I hope you have better luck with that FatMat than I did.. It wouldn't stay put after a couple days and tends to peel itself off

I got in the midrange drvers today. they will be installed in the front with a set of pioneer premier TS-D720c componets. I decided to order the pioneer's today, have 2 sets on the way and should have them by middle of next week. The other set of pioneer componets will be installed in the rear with a set of kicker resolution componets I already have from a previous system. I will post pics of the pioneer's when I get them in.

midrange.jpg

Edited by Eargasim Inc.

Well I got off my Fat A*# today and layed some more FatMat. Got most of the rear done, but called it quits after about 4 hours in the back of a van in 96 degree heat!!! Here is a couple more pics, I should be able to finish up the rear tommorow, then that just leaves the front, and the back side of all the plastic molding that goes in the rear.

rearfatmat2.jpg

rearsidefatted1.jpg

rearsidefatted2.jpg

got a little more fatmat down today, also had to use a little spray foam sealer to help out in beteween the inner and outer layers of sheet metal. got some more work to do on the side but am almost out of fatmat that 1st 100ft dident last too long!!!!

fatmat1strow.jpg

fattedistrowside.jpg

thanks man, just takin a sh@$ load of time. I am going to order up another 100sq feet on monday that should be enough to finish the front and the roof and the back side of all the inerior trim panels. For a grand total of 200sq feet of FatMat and about 15 cans of spray foam.

Well sorry for the delay took 2 weeks vacation and just havent been working on the audio latley( had to fix the a/c in the van) but I did order 2 18" q series subs dual 2 ohm vc's they should arrive by the end of next week. I finished up the fatmat as well and put all the interior back in, I will post updated pics soon. I am having secend thoughts on what amps to power these subs, I was planning on using 2 alpine pdx 1000.1 amps but have no first hand experance with these amps, I am now leaning twords 2 jl audio 1000.1 amps. If you have any opnions on which amps to run let me know I wanna run a amp on each sub at 4ohms with around 1000-1500 watts rms at 4 ohms. Going to try to get all the audio system installed by the end of sept. well thats the plan anyway...

The JL Audio amps are great to say the least, but very spendy IMHO. IF you can justify spending that much on amps, go for it. They won't disappoint, but for the power you need to run the Qs, there are definitely other options for a fraction of the cost. :)

the jl slash series realy opens up what you can do with the amps aswell..... its a 1000 watts from 1.5 ohms up to 8 i think.. nice option...

but as stated.. thay are costly.

an saz 3000d would give you all the power your looking for and more!. back with the best CS ever and a reliable power house.

Well the wait is over!!!! Got home from work today and the ups guy showed up at the same time, I knew what was coming but couldent wait to see them in person. I told the ups guy I wanted to check for any damages before I signed for the packages, so i opened them up right in the driveway and I was blown away on the size and quality of these subs, the ups guy asked what the hell are speakers that big used for??? I told him he would have to come back in a month or so and I would show him... Well here are a couple of pics of the Fi 18" Q's I got today. I have also made up my mind on what amp I will be using to power them, I decided to go with 2 T3002's for the highs and mids and one T20001 for the subs. the subs should see around 1200 watts rms each.

fi18s1.jpg

fi18s2.jpg

The pics dont do these subs justice!!!!!

Bass Boom Bottom!!!! Well we finally got around to building the enclosures for the two 18's over this past weekend. I have a couple of pics of the enclosures but none of the actual build(damn camera chit the bed on me!!) But was able to take a couple of pics with a friends camera. We decided to build two seperate enclosures one for each 18, we did this due to the size of the enclosures, we felt that 2 seperate enclosures would be stronger then one huge enclosure, plus it would make it easier to move the enclosures if I ever need to take them out for some reason. We decided to build each enclosure to 8 cubic feet tuned at 30hrz, we used 1" mdf thats right 1 INCH not that 3/4 nonsense, braced internaly by 2x3's. we started off by wood glueing and brad nailing all the pieces together, once this was done we went back and screwed the entire enclosure with 1 3/4 inch spax screws about every 1.5 to 2 inches we went thru about 400 screws for the two enclosures, the screws worked great they countersink and dont split or crack the mdf at all and you dont have to predrill, then we went in and liquid nailed all the seams and joints together inside the enclosure. Thats pritty much the rundown on the enclosure build. we still are not done, we still have to make all the trim panels and the fiberglass amprack and rear speaker pods. My buddy let me use his JL1000.1 to test the subs out with and let me tell you 200sqft of fatmat and about 15 cans of STUFF(spray foam insalation)was not enough, The whole body of the van flexes plus all of the factory interior trim pieces flex about 2-3 inches plus the front dash flexes, and thats only on a 1000 watts I am going to be running 2000 watts when my amp shows up. I think I might have gone a little overboard with this system wasent expecting this much SPL out of the 18" Fi Q's I wanted it to be loud but this is some serious SLAP!!!! Here are the pics of the enlosures hope to post a video of it hittin soon.

boxbuild2.jpg

subboxbuild1.jpg