Sign in to follow this  
manbeer

Which amp will be more efficient?

I am looking for an amp to run a pair of icons, would need to put out between 1500-2200 @ 1 or 2 or 4 ohms depending on which VC configuration. these are my choices so far

1) Sundown SAZ-1500d @ 1ohm

2) US Amps Merlin MD3 (2000w) @ 1 ohm

3) Hifonics Colossus @ 4 ohms bridged (2000w)

2) 2x Kicker ZX1000

now i will be running an HC1400 under the hood, with a Batcap 800 in the trunk(next best thing to a battery cause i am trying to keep it somewhat light), 1/0 throughout, Big 3, 10 additional 4amg grounds on chassis.

the car only has a 110 amp alt. stock, so i am looking for the most efficient amp possible. From what i remember the kickers seem to fall on the less efficient side of things? the sundown and the merling i know are both pretty good, and the hifonics is probably ok, not great. but i could run the hifonics at 4 ohms and get the power i need, which might make it more efficient then the others run at 1 ohm, correct?

I like the Kicker stuff too, but ultimately, you'll need something that draws the least amount of current since you aren't upgrading your alt.

I was thinking that since efficiency usually falls of when the impedence is decreased that the hifonics might be more efficient, since it's the only one i could run at 4 ohms

For example the sundown efficiency with different loads

1 amp, single 1000ca everstart maxx, factory alt

4 ohm nominal = 518 watts @ 88% efficiency (voltage fell from 14.3v, to 14.0v)

2 ohm nominal = 948 watts @ 85% efficiency (voltage fell from 14.3v, to 13.6v)

1 ohm nominal = 1510 watts @ 78% efficiency (voltage fell from 14.3v, to 12.4 volts

.5 ohm nominal = 1615 watts @ 72% efficiency (voltage fell from 14.3v, to 11.8v)

.35 ohm nominal = 1748 watts @ 67% efficiency (voltage fell from 14.3v, to 11.4v)

so i guess what i wanna know is if the hifonics would really draw that much more current, if any, when run with a 4 ohm load. it should be at it's peak efficiency where the others would be running at their middle area. i WOULD go with an SAZ-3000 but i can get a good deal on the hifonics and don't really wanna drop too much on the amp if i don't have to

I was thinking that since efficiency usually falls of when the impedence is decreased that the hifonics might be more efficient, since it's the only one i could run at 4 ohms

1 ohm nominal = 1510 watts @ 78% efficiency (voltage fell from 14.3v, to 12.4 volts

.5 ohm nominal = 1615 watts @ 72% efficiency (voltage fell from 14.3v, to 11.8v)

.35 ohm nominal = 1748 watts @ 67% efficiency (voltage fell from 14.3v, to 11.4v)

so i guess what i wanna know is if the hifonics would really draw that much more current, if any, when run with a 4 ohm load. it should be at it's peak efficiency where the others would be running at their middle area. i WOULD go with an SAZ-3000 but i can get a good deal on the hifonics and don't really wanna drop too much on the amp if i don't have to

what amp are those test from????

and when it comes to hifonics... you get a good deal.... cause you get what you pay for....... chrome lights and bells and whistles...... when you buy a sundown you get a plain power house..... no bells.. no lights... just power... and reliabilty

those were from the sundown saz-1500d

those were from the sundown saz-1500d

thats what i thought,,, i miss read .. i thougth he said thay were from the hifonics amp

i hope your not expecting an answer other than sundown in these forums.

Whats that supposed to mean ?

---

In any event... the efficiency of all three choices should be fairly similar at a similar power level. I doubt you'll see more than 10% variance, which is only going to be ~16-20 amps different.

and when it comes to hifonics... you get a good deal.... cause you get what you pay for....... chrome lights and bells and whistles...... when you buy a sundown you get a plain power house..... no bells.. no lights... just power... and reliabilty

the xxv series is supposed to be a very good amp. it's not a brutus we're talking about, no chrome or bells & whistles but it does have the blue logo : /

the xxv series is supposed to be a very good amp. it's not a brutus we're talking about, no chrome or bells & whistles but it does have the blue logo : /

i owned a goliath.... im not dogin the small enty levels... i run large amps.

i owned a goliath.... im not dogin the small enty levels... i run large amps.

i take it you didn't like the goliath then?

no i didnt.... for a few reasons..

no i didnt.... for a few reasons..

well obviously i would prefer a sundown over a hifonics. it's just that for the same roughly the same price, i could buy the hifonics and run it at 4 ohms rather than 1 ohm, have a lower THD and higher damping factor as a result, and be running closer to peak efficiency. then if i DID decide to change things up a bit down the road i'd have the extra potential there as well. if it's THAT bad i'll skip it though