wasted911

Time for some fun

Alright. It's time for a new build as I'm bored of my home theatre subwoofer. I already talked with Mark a bit and I'll be picking up 4 MJ-18s along with a Beringer EP-2500 amplifier. I'm thinking it will be made up of 5 pieces. (2) sub boxes, (2) speaker stands, and the main unit. The sub boxes will have 2 18"s each, and I'm probably going to go taller this time around and get it a bit skinnier. The speaker stands will hold one B&W DM 560 with the bottom of the speaker at 30". I believe at that height with our couches should be almost ideal.

The main unit is going to hold out cable box, my Denon AVR-1707, the PS3, the PS2, the N64, the Beringer, my mini-fridge, and shelving for DVDs/BDs. I'm probably going to put a door in front of the DVD shelving as well as the PS2/N64 areas as they just gather mess. I'm thinking 18" deep with a large cutout behind the reciever. It sohuld give me enough room for cables etc.

I'm going to do everything other than the sub boxes from 1/2" MDF and if it needs bracing I will do so. The sub boxes will be either single ply 3/4" MDF with a lot of bracing, or doubled up 3/4" MDF with minimal bracing. I havnt decided if I want to tune the boxes differently or have them both tuned very low. I'm going to have to research that one a bit.

As all good builds, it starts with a drawing. I've gotten that done, and I will be drawing it in a cabinet layout program I use at work because it will give me reasonable cut lists and is fairly accurate. It is also great for drag and drop. The subwoofer enclosures will be drawn out in Google Sketchup as well so I have a really nice idea of what I'm looking at.

Here's the original drawing:

SSPX0634.jpg

Forget the MDF unless you plan to do some cabinet finishing. If its sheer cabinet strength you're after, go with ply - Fir or something else.

I will be painting it before it enters the living room. Like I said earlier, I work at a cabinet shop... I have da mad hook upz.

Well anyways, here's a quick drawing of some pieces.

ent.jpg

I should add that everythng in the picture is to scale. I'm now actually a little worried that the speakers may be a bit far from the TV

Edited by wasted911

Depending on the speakers you get/make, some speakers work best when they are far from each other.

I will be painting it before it enters the living room. Like I said earlier, I work at a cabinet shop... I have da mad hook upz.

Well anyways, here's a quick drawing of some pieces.

ent.jpg

Forgive me, I didn't read that part. Carry on... :P

Looks good.

those are some huuuuge sub boxes! I hope you put some handles on them :)

ok... does someone wanna desigm me some boxes? lol

Edited by wasted911

Based on your diagram, what are your dimensions for the sub boxes? What is your effective box volume?

hmm... well I have to be 18" deep on the side thats towards my TV, the other side can stay at 18" or I'd be willing to do some 22.5 degree cuts. Height can vary. It's gott stay under 6'6" so I cant stand the box up though.

Based on your dimensions (23" x 17" x 72") you have about 16.3 cubes to work with per side. Does this sound about right? Give me a couple of days to determine the final TS parameters of the drivers and then we can do some modeling.

Based on your dimensions (23" x 17" x 72") you have about 16.3 cubes to work with per side. Does this sound about right? Give me a couple of days to determine the final TS parameters of the drivers and then we can do some modeling.

ahh fine... just for that you're doing all the work.

You haven't received my bill yet :P

Ok, Based on the above dimensions, I would suggest the following:

- 16.3 cubes gross

- Port tuning to 21Hz

- Port size is 4.5" x 23" x 38" long; port it at the top of the cabinet rear

- Add R8 fibreglass to back and sides

You're good to go. :)

Now GIMME MY MONEY!

that's not tuned lowwwww enough.... come on now boy. Iz GOTZ TO GO LoWWWWWWWW

Ok, Based on the above dimensions, I would suggest the following:

- 16.3 cubes gross

- Port tuning to 21Hz

- Port size is 4.5" x 23" x 38" long; port it at the top of the cabinet rear

- Add R8 fibreglass to back and sides

You're good to go. :)

Now GIMME MY MONEY!

Gotta go bigger then. 22 cubes +

Trust me, that will have plenty of output for you. Remember, you're dealing with four 18's with room gain...

ME NO CAIR ME WANT LOW

lol... really though. the last 18" shook my testicles when I was on the toilet. I want my testies to slap!

Then you need 24 cubes (plus space for port) in order to achieve that. If you can get it, tune it to 18Hz.