Sign in to follow this  
pd8731

Best Options for Konaki Recone

I have 2 Konaki 12's with Incriminator Audio recones on them. Overall they sound great and hit the lows great, but the power handling is lacking. I have them both on a Crunch GP3000D-Pro which is putting out between 2500-3000 watts given my electrical right now. The amp is set correctly and the system thumps hard, but it seems like they bottom out wayyyy too easily. I play a lot of low stuff (<36hz) and when I turn it up too loud, the subs bottom out.

Basically, I'm wondering if Fi would have any options to boost my power handling to 1500+ watts a piece and maybe some spiders that would stay stiff and allow me to play low frequencies at high volumes without bottoming out.

What's your box tuned to? That doesn't sound like a power handling issue. Seems more like an airspace issue.

4.4 cubes net tuned to 38 hz.

I'm going to be reconing to 15's or 18's in the future, and I want to know what all options I could have to maximize my powa handling. I would like to know ANY and ALL options that could be put on it.

Anybody?
Since no one answered, I'll give it a shot.
I play a lot of low stuff (<36hz)
That is your problem. You are playing below the tuning frequency of the enclosure. The sub acts as if it is in no enclosure below Fb.
Basically, I'm wondering if Fi would have any options to boost my power handling to 1500+ watts a piece and maybe some spiders that would stay stiff and allow me to play low frequencies at high volumes without bottoming out.
I'm going to be reconing to 15's or 18's in the future, and I want to know what all options I could have to maximize my powa handling. I would like to know ANY and ALL options that could be put on it.
Power handling is thermal rating only. That is how much power the sub can handle before the voice coil melts. It is independent of frequency. Mechanical power handling is never mentioned because it is dependent on enclosure size/design and the frequency of the material being sent to the sub. Yes, stiffer spiders would give you more mechanical power handling but they will also impact other Theile/Small parameters. Your Fs will go up. Your efficiency may go down. Your Vas will change.

Best solution(s) - Lengthen the port to tune lower, use an SSF, lower the gains on your amp and quit listening to music with low bass in it. One or a combination of the above will fix your issue.

-Robert

^^x2. Playing music below your tuning frequency without a subsonic filter is what's making your subs bottom out. Either: a) Design a new box with a lower tuning frequency (best bet if you wanna continue to beat down low) or b) set your subsonic filter so you don't kill ur woofers

Anybody?
Since no one answered, I'll give it a shot.
I play a lot of low stuff (<36hz)
That is your problem. You are playing below the tuning frequency of the enclosure. The sub acts as if it is in no enclosure below Fb.
Power handling is thermal rating only. That is how much power the sub can handle before the voice coil melts. It is independent of frequency. Mechanical power handling is never mentioned because it is dependent on enclosure size/design and the frequency of the material being sent to the sub. Yes, stiffer spiders would give you more mechanical power handling but they will also impact other Theile/Small parameters. Your Fs will go up. Your efficiency may go down. Your Vas will change.

Best solution(s) - Lengthen the port to tune lower, use an SSF, lower the gains on your amp and quit listening to music with low bass in it. One or a combination of the above will fix your issue.

-Robert

Don't take this the wrong way, but I know of everything you just said.

Miscommunication. I meant to mention that I can smell the voice coil burning when playing for a long period of time. My gain is set correctly and I am not clipping the signal very much at all. I basically just want to give them moe powa. Isn't there any way to make a 3" coil have more power handling than 1200-1500 watts without changing the motor?

Sign in to follow this