Sign in to follow this  
meccalli

box design..no idea

umm..i was looking recently at steve meade design for his current box and i was kinda fascinated o how a short port brings about such a response ..ive plotted some on winisd but could someone help on the type and how it works..to me it just seems like hole in the box...just sayin..help will be greatly appreciated..thanks .brandon

a shorter port means less port area..this reduces the damping factor and raises port velosity

but it also saves space.....

in an install like Steves (23,000w rms) SQ really isn't a factor..there is no such thing as SQ at those

power levels..you just hold on for your life and hope the notes stop so you can breath

the graph response would look the same..the difference would be the port velosity

(percentage of Mach)

a shorter port means less port area..this reduces the damping factor and raises port velosity

in an install like Steves (23,000w rms) SQ really isn't a factor..there is no such thing as SQ at those

power levels..you just hold on for your life and hope the notes stop so you can breath

the graph response would look the same..the difference would be the port velosity

(percentage of Mach)

oh...soo its basically a port designed for spl.....thanks..i think i will want to do this for my 2 bls since internal volume is barely hitting the recommendations ..but thanks much.

Don't forget that for the same tuning, if you don't change the port area and you make the box bigger, the port gets shorter. It's a big box..... So, that may be part of the confusion....

OT, but West Indies? If so cool.... One of my best friend grew up there....

Edited by 95Honda

Don't forget that for the same tuning, if you don't change the port area and you make the box bigger, the port gets shorter. It's a big box..... So, that may be part of the confusion....

OT, but West Indies? If so cool.... One of my best friend grew up there....

oh...thanks ..i guess that relly did confuse..but yeah awesome..bout ur friend. :drink40:

(percentage of Mach)

oh...soo its basically a port designed for spl.....thanks..i think i will want to do this for my 2 bls since internal volume is barely hitting the recommendations ..but thanks much.

a short port doesn't neccessarly mean it's an SPL set up....if the room allows most will go for more port area

and in Steves case he probably wanted to stay below the seat line in order to stay out of the wall class and still

have room for the four 18" BTL's,amps and his kids.....

(percentage of Mach)

a short port doesn't neccessarly mean it's an SPL set up....if the room allows most will go for more port area

and in Steves case he probably wanted to stay below the seat line in order to stay out of the wall class and still

have room for the four 18" BTL's,amps and his kids.....

makes sense..thanks...i guess i too wanna keep my back seats .just me and my gf..but kidz might follow someday..who knows. :neil: