Sign in to follow this  
goldmax99

Fine tune my system

I need some advice on how to tune my system. I've got the following...yes they are a bit old but in great condition.

Alpine CDA-7844

SoundsStream Rubicon 404 and 702 amps

MB Quart 6.5" components with MusiComp crossover

MB Quart 2 ways with regular crossover for rear.

The 404 is driving the mids/highs and the 702 is hooked up and ready for when I buy a sub. My question is how do I got about figuring out what to set the gains at? Also do I need to set the 404 to high pass and 702 to lowpass? If so, what frequency should I set them each at? The HU has a setting for the "bass control center frequency". I can choose 60, 70, 80 100hz. Default is 100. Not sure if I should adjust this.

Currently I have the 404 on what's called OUT, which means it's not on high pass or low pass but sending the full range to the crossovers which then feed the mids and tweeters. It sounds good but when I put the volume up the bass sounds rough. Not sure if it's distortion or rattling or something else. I've read on here that buying a test tones CD or the IASCA CD might come in handy.

I would set the HPF on your 404 around 60 and set the LPF on your 702 to the same.

I would set the HPF on your 404 around 60 and set the LPF on your 702 to the same.

Why do the instructions suggest the HPF to 100 and LPF to 60. What happens to 60-100? It talks about something called mid-bass boom in this section too.

I don't like either option, let your ears decide; however, I will add that underlapping is almost always required. IE both should NOT be set to the same frequency but instead there should be a gap between them.

Thank M5. BTW that's my favorite car of all time! How about settings gains...any advice or tips?

Edited by goldmax99

Thanks for the link but it doesn't make any sense for that thread to be in the non-audio/offtopic section. I looked in the how-to's, which is where that thread should be.

okay how can I find the RMS of my amp and speakers? I have a soundstream rubicon 404 powering mb quart rsb 218 components. The amp manual says it's 50WX4 at 4 ohms but doesn't specify if it's RMS or peak. Then the speakers say power handling is 60 - 130W but again doesn't specify RMS.

okay how can I find the RMS of my amp and speakers? I have a soundstream rubicon 404 powering mb quart rsb 218 components. The amp manual says it's 50WX4 at 4 ohms but doesn't specify if it's RMS or peak. Then the speakers say power handling is 60 - 130W but again doesn't specify RMS.

from looking at your manual, i would say 50X4 is RMS and the speakers are probably 60w RMS

from looking at your manual, i would say 50X4 is RMS and the speakers are probably 60w RMS

Thanks for your help. I'm going to try and set my gains properly this weekend.

I have always done this:

1. Turn your amp gains all the way down.

2. Turn your radio up about 0-100 @ around 75 ( the goal here is to get all your radio has to offer before distorion!)

3. Then goto your amp and turn your gain level until like M5 said sounds good to you or until you hear distortion and then turn it back a little.

This way you have a safety net for your high's and when you get a sub disconnect your high amp's rca's then do the same to your sub amp steps 1-3. You then plug your high amp's rca's back in and you should have a well balanced system that will never hit distortion levels which is what kills speakers faster then anything.

Edited by Cr@sh

I have always done this:

1. Turn your amp gains all the way down.

2. Turn your radio up about 0-100 @ around 75 ( the goal here is to get all your radio has to offer before distorion!)

3. Then goto your amp and turn your gain level until like M5 said sounds good to you or until you hear distortion and then turn it back a little.

This way you have a safety net for your high's and when you get a sub disconnect your high amp's rca's then do the same to your sub amp steps 1-3. You then plug your high amp's rca's back in and you should have a well balanced system that will never hit distortion levels which is what kills speakers faster then anything.

My amp gains are set. I left them at the lowest setting .3 volts. I think the speakers could take more but my ears couldn't. I set the volume at 20/35 and couldn't go any higher with the gains set at minimum. My ears couldn't take it, but at 20/35 it sounded clear....and very loud.

Sounds like you got right nice system there ;)

Thanks I can't wait to add sub to it. It use to have a kicker solobaric 15" but I think I'm going to get an FI Q12 this time.