Sign in to follow this  
lillitnn92

alpine MRP-M850 and 1 ohm operation

alpine's site doesn't say anything nor does the manual, but do you think the MRP-M850 would operate at anything below 2 ohm? i have a dual 4ohm 10" RL-i and i have decided i want a little more bass, so i'm wanting to get another RL-i. thing is my options are 4ohm or 1ohm if i do so. at 4ohm i'm not going to get more wattage than i'm running now at 2 because i'm only running it at about 500ish. i'd really like to not have to buy another amp though along with another sub. so you think it could handle 1ohm even though it says nothing about 1ohm?

ratings

RMS Power (at 14.4V THD+N, 20Hz-200Hz)

Per channel into 4 ohms: 500W x 1 (0.08% THD)

Per channel into 2 ohms: 800W x 1

alpine's site doesn't say anything nor does the manual, but do you think the MRP-M850 would operate at anything below 2 ohm? i have a dual 4ohm 10" RL-i and i have decided i want a little more bass, so i'm wanting to get another RL-i. thing is my options are 4ohm or 1ohm if i do so. at 4ohm i'm not going to get more wattage than i'm running now at 2 because i'm only running it at about 500ish. i'd really like to not have to buy another amp though along with another sub. so you think it could handle 1ohm even though it says nothing about 1ohm?

ratings

RMS Power (at 14.4V THD+N, 20Hz-200Hz)

Per channel into 4 ohms: 500W x 1 (0.08% THD)

Per channel into 2 ohms: 800W x 1

I really suggest that you not run that amp at 1 ohm period. You will do very bad things to it if you do run it that low. How is it that you think that you are only getting 500 or so RMS? What is the voltage at the amp? Are you running the Big 3, extra battery, Alt. or, Cap? Other than that ,if you must have more power,

Buy an amp that is rated at 1 ohm.

and plus why run it at 1 ohm i belive that amp runs same amount of power at any ohm

What does your current box look like? A simple redesign may be all you need.

Excellent point man!

.65 (well slightly under because of my screw up) sealed. i made a truck box for the truck (obvisously), but now i'm driving a civic hatch. i haven't had time to make another box for it, but it will be .65 sealed like the other, just in regular form. i'm a sealed box guy.

The MRP-M1000 is the amp that we tried running at 1 ohm with the Brahma the other night and it shuts off after the first couple loud notes, so i would imagine that your will do the same.

All Alpine sub amps will go into overcurrent shutdown at any impedance below 2 ohms.

All Alpine sub amps will go into overcurrent shutdown at any impedance below 2 ohms.

okay, then i gues it's new amp time also. i just bought all of this a few months ago, but i thought at the time i would be happy with 1 10" RL-i and 500watts....guess not.

You want more bass, yet you're a sealed box man.

Contradictory statements my friend. It's time to learn how to build a ported box.

You want more bass, yet you're a sealed box man.

Contradictory statements my friend. It's time to learn how to build a ported box.

sorry, i should have been more specific. "i want to increase my sub wattage from 500ish watts to ...more" :)

ported is out of the question. i like the sound of sealed, plus generaly ported inclousures are larger and i don't want the box being bigger than my car. i'm just not happy with 500 watts.

.65 (well slightly under because of my screw up) sealed. i made a truck box for the truck (obvisously), but now i'm driving a civic hatch. i haven't had time to make another box for it, but it will be .65 sealed like the other, just in regular form. i'm a sealed box guy.

As far as I can tell .65 is the very minimum for sealed. I really do think that you'd be ALOT happier stuffing that box some. All it will cost you is about 15 minutes of your time!

from Soundsplinter

Acceptable:

Edited by lillitnn92